Are white german shepherds not as good as normal colored ones?

I heard that white german shepherd dogs were bred for show only and lose a lot of their shepherd traits. Is this true? For my own private reasons I need a dog, and have been considering a german shepherd. I have an opportunity to get a white one, but…

I heard that white german shepherd dogs were bred for show only and lose a lot of their shepherd traits. Is this true? For my own private reasons I need a dog, and have been considering a german shepherd. I have an opportunity to get a white one, but…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are white german shepherds not as good as normal colored ones?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are white german shepherds not as good as normal colored ones?

Are white german shepherds not as good as normal colored ones? Dog Breed Discussions
      I heard that white german shepherd dogs were bred for show only and lose a lot of their shepherd traits. Is this true? For my own private reasons I need a dog, and have been considering a german shepherd. I have an opportunity to get a white one, but will it be the same?

Are white german shepherds not as good as normal colored ones? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Actually, white GSDs are disqualified from showing in AKC conformation shows. Deep rich colors are desireable in the breed with pale, washed out colors being less desireable and white being grounds for disqualification. However, the white GSD is still a GSD in all other aspects.ADD: Okay, I just have to weigh in here: Just a couple of facts about white GSDs. The first registered GSD, Horand von Grafath, had a maternal grandfather who was also white in color. And, the white color variation has been part of the GSD genetic pool since the beginning of the breed. Just as there are solid black GSDs, the white color happens due to a recessive gene that can be hidden for several generations before making an appearance. I had this happen once during our breeding program from excellent blood line dogs. It is very possible that two "normal colored" GSDs (carrying the recessive white gene) can produce white puppies in a litter of black and tans or sables, etc. Additionally, white is completely independent of the genes for agouti, two-tone, or solid patterns that occur in colored dogs.A good white German Shepherd should also have dark eyes with a black nose and lips. White is also considered a "masking" gene which covers up the dog's true color, although it does not affect skin pigment. This is why "white" German Shepherds often have a cream or blond tint to their solid white coat. Also, white German Shepherds are NOT an albino dog. An albino will have pink skin and blue or pink eyes. While there are some dog breeds, predominately white in color, that do suffer from problems of deafness, this is simply NOT THE CASE with the white German Shepherd Dog.White coat color is completely independent of the genes for agouti (sable), two-tone, or solid patterns that occur in other "colored" dogs. White is also totally independent of either of the blue or liver dilution genes found in the breed. The white gene masks the genetic coat pigment of the German Shepherd Dog, although it does not affect skin pigment.In the GSD, white is in a totally different location on the chromosome from the genes needed for marking colors, patterns or primary body colors. Because of this, a white GSD may also genetically be of any pattern or combination of primary and marking colors as found in any of the other "darker dogs". You just won't see it because the white color gene has masked these other patterns or colors - and all you see is a solid white German Shepherd. So, other than the fact that the AKC disqualifies white GSDs from competing in conformation, they are still GSDs through and through and no more suscetible to being badly bred than anything showing and winning in the ring today. Awesome dogs - many of which have nothing but AKC champions in their background!

• I had one and there was nothing abnormal for her as far as her being a German ShepherdI Just have to add-To the "Nekkid Truth" person below, That comment about a white dog blending in too much with the snow and sheep and not being able to protect them well because of it, that is rediculous. I own a Great Pyrenees, they are livestock gaurdian dogs, particularly to SHEEP, and they are GREAT at their jobs, fighting off anything from wolves to bears.And of course the sheep can see a white dog. Theyre not blind, they surely can tell the difference between a different species animal. (:And being seen by intruders and predators is a GOOD thing for a guard dog, whether human guarding or livestock guarding, The predators and intruders are often scared away by SEEING the guard dog, especially if it warns the intruders/predators

• White GSDs are disqualified from being shown in AKC conformation shows. The white coloring is a recessive gene, although the dog will still have other GSD attributes.Do your research and make sure any breeder you're considering is reputable:http://www.hkc.org/breederchoice.htmAlthough, you may want to look for someone breeding working GSDs. The AKC show ones are being ruined, with sloping backs and poor joints. Or just adopt.

• lolwhite shepherds cannot be bred for show.. they are disqualified from the show ring!they deter from the breeds purpose.. as a herding breed, the white blends too much into the snow and with the sheep.. the dog cannot be seen by the sheep, and cannot be seen by potential predators. The dog needs to be able to be seen.as a guard dog.. its too easily seen by intruders.Majority of white shepherds come from BYBs who use indescriminate inbreeding to encourage the color, rather than focus on health, temperment or work ability... so many of them are unhealthy of unstable.. not because of the color, just because of the breeding practices used to encourage the color.

• White gsds can be registered, but they can not be shown.White is a recessive gene considered a flaw and often comes with eye problems, deafness, internal organ problems.That said, we adopted a female white shepherd some years ago, got her from Animal Services where she was dumped along with her 2 brothers - all 3 white. Our shepherd was a lovely dog, but very shy and had a blind eye, blue and opaque.She got along well with us but tried to herd every stranger off our property by going in circles around them, slowly pushing them to the street -- was very odd to watch, almost like a wolf circling.She got on fine with our male normal colored gsd and they both lived to nearly 18, a very old age in gsds.If you want a white shepherd, adopt one from a shelter since no reputable breeder would breed white gsds on purpose.

• Yes it will be the same. I have had a "normal" colored one and she was a blessing! 4 years later I got a white one (other did not die) and she was exactly like you would expect a german shepherd to be. Color does nothing, they are still german shepherds just a beautiful white. I say get the white. You won't regret it, if you like german shepherds... that is a german shepherd. Good luck!

• That's an interesting question and without writing a novel I will condense it to this.First, white coat color is a disqualification in AKC/UKC conformation rings. With that being said, there are "registries" that allow white GSDs. Most are false registries that promote dogs bred against the breed standard.A GSD bred specifically for white coat color can be a genetic disaster and thus can be incredibly different from a standard German Shepherd Dog in behavior and temperament. However, a dog that appears from a responsible breeding between two darkly pigmented dogs should in theory be no different than its responsibly bred predecessors. Considering the recent trend in production of the white German Shepherd Dogs by BYBs, I wouldn't come within a mile of the dog. Breeders breeding for "rare" recessive coat color are doing the breed no justice at all.