How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd?

She likes big dogs, and so do I but she wants a more "family" type dog like a retriever. I want an incredibly smart dog who will be very protective of our family (even though we won't have kids for a few years).I said I'd be willing to get a mixed German…

She likes big dogs, and so do I but she wants a more "family" type dog like a retriever. I want an incredibly smart dog who will be very protective of our family (even though we won't have kids for a few years).I said I'd be willing to get a mixed German…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd?...

• How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd?

How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
      She likes big dogs, and so do I but she wants a more "family" type dog like a retriever. I want an incredibly smart dog who will be very protective of our family (even though we won't have kids for a few years).I said I'd be willing to get a mixed German Shepherd, but I really want a full breed. How can I convince her that they are safe?

How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If she really doesn't want one, then don't push her! After all, if she is going to help take care of it and pay for it, she needs to be completely in love with it. I think your compromise of a part-GS would be fair.

• Howabout the two of you research different large breeds and compromise on a breed that has BOTH qualities?A giant or standard schnauzer may be what you seek.. I dont know alot about the breed, but Im told they are very affectionate with their family, but make great guard dogs for the home.

• Look up the training information. I've had German Sheperds and they are very, very sweet. They just get a bad rep. like pit bulls.I just got a Pit Bull and he's scared of his own shadow.

• for one I never suggest getting a breed if everyone in the house isnt comfortable with, that just leads to problems.German Shepards can be great family dogs but do need to be trained properly, just like any other breed. Why not take her to the pound and look around at some dogs? let her see what some German Shepards are like in person. If she still does not want one then try to come up with a breed you both agree on. You may find one you both fall in love with at the animal shelterAdd** german Shepards are actually not used in the police force much anymore.

• a german shepard is the perfect dog, it can protect you if trained well and IT IS a family dog, i have one and its very good with kids and everyone in the family including our 2 month old kitten

• show her clips of what they can do or get 2 dogs 1 u want 1 she wants and convince her it will help the kids keep them safe and other things for the kids keep robbers out stuff like that maybe.your lucky ur getting that kind of dog my cousin has a siberian husky and i have to live with him for a while the dog is kinnda loud but hes friendly

• oh my god...German Shepherds are fantastic dogs! what makes her think other wise? hasn't she heard of Rin Tin Tin ? I would get a library book or look up info in the internet. German Shepherds are GREAT!!

• i would tell you but german sheperds are not safe my neighbors german sheperd is huge he came up bit my pants (i was lucky) then it scratched up my leg then my neighbors got it i was on the floor with blood on my leg sorry man but there not all safe but some could be

• German shepherds are very loyal, loving and protective animals. Aggression and attacks on people are largely due to poor breeding, handling and training. A well bred, well-adjusted, and trained dog is for the most part generally good with other pets and excellent with children in the family. They must be firmly trained in obedience from an early age. It is extremely important to purchase your German Shepherd from a reputable breeder. Some are timid and skittish and may be prone to fear biting. Research a puppy's lineage carefully. To be successful pets, these dogs should be trained and socialized from an early age with a firm and loving hand. Coercive or angry training does not succeed well with these dogs. To be truly happy, the German Shepherd needs a task in life.

• I have German Shepherds and I think they are just as much a family dog as retrievers. They are loyal, smart, playful, protective(which comes naturally) , pretty and so much more.Why would they not be a safe dog? Any dog may not be a safe dog it's just the way people look at some breeds of dogs. I think you should go to a German Shepherd breeder and see if that interests her in getting one. If she really doesn't want one then you could try taking her to a pound to see if you find another breed that you both agree on. Well good luck.~AtA~

• I had a German Shepherd and she was a real herder. My daughter was only 6 and would be out in the yard playing and start to walk toward the field away from her play area and my dog, "Laurel" would walk in front of her and stop. As soon as she tried to walk around her, Laurel would move and block her again. This dog was not trained to do this it was her natural instinct to protect my daughter and not let her go where it might not be safe. My daughter didn't think it was great and would get so made at her for doing this. I couldn't help but laugh watching this from the window. The only trouble I had would be the same no matter what dog you get and that is to keep them from jumping because they would knock her over. The real trick is to get a dog from a breeder that you can see the mother and if lucky both parents to see if they are friendly and easy going. These temperments will come through in the puppies.

• Why do you want an very (empahsis on very) protective dog? You could be asking for trouble unless you spend the time to really train the dog. When I was a kid, there was a german shepherd at each end of the block that I lived on. Both dogs had bit childern in the neighborhood. If this had happened today, instead of 30 years ago, the dogs would be put down. You cannot guarantee the behavior of any dog, but I vote for the lower risk dog. Get the retriever.