Why is my 9 month old Rottweiler suddenly aggressive twards my nabors dog?

There is a definite link between bone cancer and early neuter in Rotti's - and this has been posted here by a vet - you can also google it. So, YES, he should be neutered later in life - 2 years sounds fine.However, males begin to mature around 9 months…

There is a definite link between bone cancer and early neuter in Rotti's - and this has been posted here by a vet - you can also google it. So, YES, he should be neutered later in life - 2 years sounds fine.However, males begin to mature around 9 months…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why is my 9 month old Rottweiler suddenly aggressive twards my nabors dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is my 9 month old Rottweiler suddenly aggressive twards my nabors dog?

Why is my 9 month old Rottweiler suddenly aggressive twards my nabors dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      There is a definite link between bone cancer and early neuter in Rotti's - and this has been posted here by a vet - you can also google it. So, YES, he should be neutered later in life - 2 years sounds fine.However, males begin to mature around 9 months and by 1 year his attitude with other dogs will be very entrenched. Neutering should not be done to manage behaviour.Its dangerous to leave a dog like your's outside in a yard and allowed to build frustration (aggression) . Dogs permitted to do this actually "load" or build up the frustration and the release for a dog from this frustration is to bite. Its often why dogs tethered or chained break loose - and then target the first dog they see.He should be immediately stopped from barking at the neighbours dog, or any dog - and that means work with a leash and correction. He should not be tethered or tied outdoors - period. You should be outside with him during the training, it will take a LOT of repetitions.He should not be contained with an electric fence.I personally do not believe in a bark collar and feel it will create more problems and heighten aggression. The dog must not make decisions for you. A dog this size will do considerable damage and should be walked on a prong collar and he should be conditioned to ALWAYS stand down to any other dog on command. The best way to manage this is to structure your dog's living and work him.Agonistic behaviour (Aggression) is aggression - and a dog will begin to target other dogs and then as time goes on, if unchecked, develop similar attitudes towards people. Its a natural guarding instinct.****************8Dogs that live with other dogs develop a family or "pack " relationship and this can include their cat, and their people. So its not unusual at all for a dog to tolerate other dogs in its family. However this does not extend to other dogs or other people - or other cats. Training called "socialization" is teaching your dog to not react with flight or fight behaviours - but to ignore and look to you for instructions. Just letting a puppy play in a dog park with other dogs is NOT socialization - its just dogs doing whatever they want.

Why is my 9 month old Rottweiler suddenly aggressive twards my nabors dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My. 9 month old Rottweiler puppy just all of a sudden became aggressive twards my nabors male german Sheppard. My dog has never showed any sign of aggression tward him befote i also have 2 smaller female dogs that my rott lives with and he doesnt show them any aggressive behavior. Also he started to bark at the female pitt across the street. He is an intact male and i plan on getting him cut but i was planing on waitin untill he was about 2 years old so he would be done growing. Also he does not show any aggression twards any human just them two dogs.

• He's doing it because he's maturing, he's an intact male now, not a puppy. He'll start showing his dog aggression to any dog you encounter out on walks. Time to take care of this now - with training and corrections.