How to train a scottish terrier to behave around a pet skunk?

Hi I was looking to buy a skunk kit.. but I have a Scottish terrier and they have instincts to kill rodents, mice, etc. I don't know if you can train them not to or what? I just need some help!

Hi I was looking to buy a skunk kit.. but I have a Scottish terrier and they have instincts to kill rodents, mice, etc. I don't know if you can train them not to or what? I just need some help!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to train a scottish terrier to behave around a pet skunk?...

• How to train a scottish terrier to behave around a pet skunk?

How to train a scottish terrier to behave around a pet skunk? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi I was looking to buy a skunk kit.. but I have a Scottish terrier and they have instincts to kill rodents, mice, etc. I don't know if you can train them not to or what? I just need some help!

How to train a scottish terrier to behave around a pet skunk? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Terriers are vermin dogs and that means that there are hundreds of years of selective breeding that have genetically hard wired those breeds to instinctively go after rodents or vermin. Training a dog to do something is much easier than training a dog NOT to do something. Professional training may help, but there would always be a huge risk of the dog going after the skunk. Personally, I think this is unfair to both animals. It's unfair to the skunk to have to live in a situation where they're constantly at risk and it's unfair for you to put the dog in a situation where you expect him to ignore a genetic drive. There's also a good chance that the skunk could seriously injure the dog, too. Good vermin dogs require a lot of training in order for them to do their jobs safely and a dog without that training can easily be injured by a cornered skunk. Skunks do prefer to run rather than fight, but if they can't get away, they can be vicious animals.If you really want a skunk, don't get one while you have dogs of any breed. There's just too much risk.