How can you teach a Rat Terrier to lay down and roll over plz help (10 points)?

I have a 2 year rat terrier and the only trick he know is to sit.I really want to teach him to roll over and to laydown.PLZ help me thank-you best answer 10 points.

I have a 2 year rat terrier and the only trick he know is to sit.I really want to teach him to roll over and to laydown.PLZ help me thank-you best answer 10 points....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can you teach a Rat Terrier to lay down and roll over plz help (10 points)?...

• How can you teach a Rat Terrier to lay down and roll over plz help (10 points)?

How can you teach a Rat Terrier to lay down and roll over plz help (10 points)? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 2 year rat terrier and the only trick he know is to sit.I really want to teach him to roll over and to laydown.PLZ help me thank-you best answer 10 points.

How can you teach a Rat Terrier to lay down and roll over plz help (10 points)? Dog Breed Discussions
    • downput him in sit position with treat nose high, slowly drop it to his front feet and slowly drag it out until he downs completely. you may need to put some pressure on his shoulders or just put your hand there to keep him from popping up. everytime you practice this, do it three times in a row, dogs learn better in groups of three's. once you have the down undercontrol, take the treat and twist it around his head, its hard to explain you will have to play with it, the dogs body will follow the treat and make him roll over. dont forget to say the commands when you do this. good luck

• Hi,It's cool to teach dogs a lot of tricks which make us laugh. Roll over is one of the popular dog tricks. Check this out for the training tips and other dog tricks:http://www.elfurl.com/bi1eo

• I've got a rat terrier. Ratties are superb at tricks. Plus, tricks are a great way to learn how your dog learns, build your relationship with your dog, and convince your dog that you're the source of fun. So don't stop--try to learn a new trick every week. You'll not only amaze friends and family but you and your dog will have an incredible relationship.Here are some ways (multiple approaches) to teaching a roll-over.1. Break it into stages. First, teach your dog to go into a down. You can initially do this with luring--a treat before the nose to get the front of the dog down then gentle pressure on the hips and then praise and give multiple treats "good down! good boy!". You next move to a down by signal (mine is a finger pointed at the ground) and no lure (but a treat magically appears once he goes into his "down" position. Once he's mastered a down, you lure again. Get the dog into a down, then put a treat before his nose and do a circle in front of him with it (so as he follows he turns onto his side). When he goes onto his side, treat. After a couple of times going onto the side, extend the circle or loop so it's complete (and the dog ends rolling over completely.2. Second option: if you're good with a clicker, wait until you catch your dog on his back (my rattie does this all the time--he'll wiggle on the carpet on his back like he loves the feel of the carpet on his back). Catch him on his back and then click. The dog will spring up and get his treat but realize "hey--being here on my back can get me a treat." From there, it's an easy transition to giving it a name (roll over) and leading him into it.3. Third option: put your dog on his side on your bed (so it's soft and easy to roll on). Start to scratch your dog's belly. He'll probably roll over onto this back. Gradually shift the position of your body and your dog will roll in your direction. Repeat. Your dog will start to get comfortable with this rolling over business. Then start giving treats after he finishes the roll. And give it a name.Simple rules for training ANY trick:1. Break it down into steps or stages.2. Be positive and give treats initially.3. End on a positive note (so your dog doesn't think doing tricks is confusing or discouraging). That means if your dog isn't getting one part, tell your dog to do something you know he can do (say...a sit), reward and end the practice.Complex rules for training ANY trick:1. Get clicker savvy. It's how ALL serious animal trainers (including dog trainers in Hollywood, SeaWorld trainers with Orcas, Navy trainers teaching Dolphins to spot mines) work.2. Start practicing behavior shaping (for more details go to www.shirleychong.com or google "101 uses for a box").If you want some more trick ideas, go to this website: www.silvia.trkman.net She's an agility competitor from Slovenia, one of the best in the world and she believes that tricks are critical for building a relationship and training your dog. Watch her tricks videos--simply amazing.

• Okay i have a rat terrier and it took me no lie 10 minitues to train him to sit, stand and lay. You grabb one of thair favorite treats or chesse. You stand on your knees and call him over. you put the chesse in your hand and close it while putting it infront of your pup. Then say sit and when he puts his bottom down for 2 seconds treat him. Dont repeat "sit" more than 2 times. Do this for 5 minutes and then walk around and say sit and if he does treat him!YOU CAN DO THIS TO LIE DOWN TOO!!!!JUST WHEN HE SITS BRING THE TREAT TO THE FLOOR AND SAY LIE AND IF HE DOES TREAT HIM!BE PATIENT