How can I get my Pitbull and my moms rat terrier to get along?

I have a 2 year old Pit Bull and my mom has a 5 year old Rat Terrier. We just moved in together and they are not getting along. The Rat Terrier is very mean to my pit bull and my pit bull doesnt back down, which leads to as fight.

I have a 2 year old Pit Bull and my mom has a 5 year old Rat Terrier. We just moved in together and they are not getting along. The Rat Terrier is very mean to my pit bull and my pit bull doesnt back down, which leads to as fight....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I get my Pitbull and my moms rat terrier to get along?...

• How can I get my Pitbull and my moms rat terrier to get along?

How can I get my Pitbull and my moms rat terrier to get along? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 2 year old Pit Bull and my mom has a 5 year old Rat Terrier. We just moved in together and they are not getting along. The Rat Terrier is very mean to my pit bull and my pit bull doesnt back down, which leads to as fight.

How can I get my Pitbull and my moms rat terrier to get along? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Terriers in general tend to be feisty. Pit bulls were bred for generations to be dog aggressive. Try taking them both to an obedience class so they both figure out that you are the pack leader not them. If that doesn't work, keep them separated so the Rat Terrier doesn't get hurt.

• Keep them seperated. If they have to be in the same room together, keep them on leashes and watch them constantly. Just don't let the rat terrier get near your pit, or else you'll have more fights going on.

• Rat Terrier's are very dog aggressive from my experience and so are Pitt Bulls. You need to find a professional trainer or else your mother is going to have a dead Rat Terrier on her hands. I'm sure you already know to keep them apart if they are not being supervised.Oh, you haven't said if they are male or female. If they are both males and haven't been neutered you might give that a try. Males that are intact can be more aggresive

• Please read:http://www.badrap.org/rescue/multidogs.htmlhttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=2779The reality is...the dogs may never get along.They are both terriers,one bred specifically for generations to fight other dogs.The key now is proper management to prevent any serious issues.Obedience training and time may make the dogs more compatible,but never trust them alone together!