How to train a basset hound?

I have a one year old female basset hound. I'm interested in teaching her how to track sents. She's ok trained (knows sit and stay pretty well) but i would like her to be put to use to track things. Maybe just any different scents. I know bassets are…

I have a one year old female basset hound. I'm interested in teaching her how to track sents. She's ok trained (knows sit and stay pretty well) but i would like her to be put to use to track things. Maybe just any different scents. I know bassets are…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to train a basset hound?...

• How to train a basset hound?

How to train a basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a one year old female basset hound. I'm interested in teaching her how to track sents. She's ok trained (knows sit and stay pretty well) but i would like her to be put to use to track things. Maybe just any different scents. I know bassets are slow and can't chase things well but i would like her to be able to find sommething using her nose. If you have any suggestions that would really help. Thanks!

How to train a basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Start with her meals, hide her meal bowl in your garden without her seeing, drop one or two pieces of food from the bowl to the door, put her on a long lead and tell her find, she will sniff the floor, find the food pieces and the only thing you do is keep encouraging her to 'find' it may take a while the first couple of times, however it is an easy way to teach your dog at home, she is then working to earn her food....you can even fill a kong with her meal instead of using a bowl....so atthe end she has to work even harder to get it...so you are providing her with mental and physical stimulation.