Do basset hounds whine or howl because they are hurt?

I just recently found out that my basset hound is missing a patch of fur like on his upper front leg at the back. I still haven't figure out why this is....and i also noticed that he has been howling a lot lately. Do you guys have any suggestions why??…

I just recently found out that my basset hound is missing a patch of fur like on his upper front leg at the back. I still haven't figure out why this is....and i also noticed that he has been howling a lot lately. Do you guys have any suggestions why??…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do basset hounds whine or howl because they are hurt?...

• Do basset hounds whine or howl because they are hurt?

Do basset hounds whine or howl because they are hurt? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just recently found out that my basset hound is missing a patch of fur like on his upper front leg at the back. I still haven't figure out why this is....and i also noticed that he has been howling a lot lately. Do you guys have any suggestions why?? Thank You.

Do basset hounds whine or howl because they are hurt? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They whine, yes, and they may well howl at the time of the injury. Otherwise no. This isn't necessarily an indication of pain. All my Bassets have shivered when in pain, without exception, and more especially the males!!His howling is more likely to be because he's caught a scent of a b itch in season locally - in which case this should stop in another couple of weeks. Assuming he's not neutered of course.Bassets do have skin problems, more and more these days, so if he has a bald patch, I'd get him checked - could be a hot spot actually. And normally speaking, Basset or not, if there is a significant change, something new, in an adult dog, which goes on, it's probably time for a vet check.