Another question about caring for my new basset hound?

I've adopted a basset hound from my aunt, who adopted from a shelter. Normally, I don't take dogs unless I've researched the breed and have a grasp as to what care is required and if the dog is right for me and my lifestyle. In this case, the dog would…

I've adopted a basset hound from my aunt, who adopted from a shelter. Normally, I don't take dogs unless I've researched the breed and have a grasp as to what care is required and if the dog is right for me and my lifestyle. In this case, the dog would…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Another question about caring for my new basset hound?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Another question about caring for my new basset hound?

Another question about caring for my new basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've adopted a basset hound from my aunt, who adopted from a shelter. Normally, I don't take dogs unless I've researched the breed and have a grasp as to what care is required and if the dog is right for me and my lifestyle. In this case, the dog would have been put down if it had been returned to the shelter (the standard policy for returned dogs at that shelter), and I didn't want that to happen so I acted without my research.I've been researching bassets and have some questions. The whole bloating thing freaks me out. What do I watch for? Also, information I've found says that jumping and stairs can be bad for bassets. Should my new basset be okay with handling the steps from my back porch? What about jumping up on the bay window seat?Also, this dog seems to have cottonmouth all the time (he does have enough water). It basically just looks like he's doing what people do when they have cottonmouth. Is this a basset thing?Cottonmouth....kind of like when you have a bad taste in your mouth or your mouth is really dry.

Another question about caring for my new basset hound? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Signs of bloat are restlessness and pacing, salivating or retching, trying to vomit and an enlarged abdomen, the dog may be whining and is obviously uncomfortable - walking stiff-legged, hanging his head, lethargic. The key is to get him to the vet immediately.You can greatly help to prevent bloat though by feeding three times a day or at least twice. Don't let the dog have much water before or after meals - approx. 1 hour. Never let them do a lot of exercise on a full stomach.Don't panic too much about bloat - deep chested dogs are prone to it, I've always had them and never any problems - just a little common sense and your dog should be ok.Bassets can do stairs and if he wants to jump onto your bay window seat, he must feel comfortable doing it. If you think it's too high for him, teach him to stay off or put a footstool or something in front so he can take it in stages.Bassets tend to get overweight easily which is really bad for their backs (and legs). A basset who is a little leaner will be much healthier, especially as he gets older.

• Here are some articles on bloat and it's symptoms:http://www.cybercanine.com/bloat.htmhttp://www.ginnie.com/bloat.htmhttp://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htmOne of my dogs bloated. Once you see it, you will never mistake it for anything else. Due to his age and the fact that he was in the last stages of cancer, we opted to let him go to the bridge rather than subject him to surgery.I keep some simethecone capsules (like Gas-X) on hand and give them one if I suspect there may be a problem.If your basset is an adult, and in good physical condition (good structure, not overweight and good muscle tone) then moderate jumping and stairs should not pose a problem. That said, there is always a risk of back problems with a dwarf breed. I worry more about jumping down when there's a big difference in height, like off a high bed, than doing short steps or the low jumps we do in agility or obedience. If the bay window seat is high, you might consider steps or a ramp.If the basset is under a year old, I try to keep them off stairs and avoid jumping as much as possible. The bones are still growing and are easily damaged. We don't start jumping training until the dog is at least a 18 months.I'm not sure what you mean by cottonmouth.....