My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?

I'm on vacation visiting my mom and my fiance called last night to tell me my beloved Flash was dead. Last night I dreamed about him and how much fun we had with him as a family.. He was the best dog I have ever owned. I would like to have another…

My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?

I'm on vacation visiting my mom and my fiance called last night to tell me my beloved Flash was dead. Last night I dreamed about him and how much fun we had with him as a family.. He was the best dog I have ever owned. I would like to have another…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?...

• You can never replace him not matter what - and if you want the same breed that is fine - But I do suggest getting a different markings.. I still find myself missing my old dogs.. and at times I do compare - but I love every one of them..

• One thing to remember here is that you'll never be able to replace Flash. As you said, He was the best dog you ever owned (so far anyway) If you really love the breed and would be willing to get another, I say go ahead. But trying to find one exactly like him, might be a mistake. You might end up comparing him to flash, whichisn't really fair to the new guy. he's an individual, just like flash was, and he will deserve to be recognized for his individual personality.Losing a pet is a hard experience. I've lost a few. But startng over again with a new puppy, or even an older dog who needs to be rescued, is an exciting adventure which you'll be lucky to experience again. Celebrate Flash for who he was, and the happiness and unconditional lovve he gave you, then open your heart to a new pet and try to see what makes him unique, and ceebrate that.You were blessed to have such a great dog, and now you are blessed to have that opportunity again.

• As far as the color pattern and so on, that's up to you. But only time will heal your heart. You will always have that special place in your heart for each dog you had. You will not ever find a dog identical to any other dog you've owned. No two dogs are identical. No new dog will occupy that exact same place. He or she will get a place of their own. I still miss my three dogs that were put to sleep in 1996, 2000, and 2004. I now have a Toy Poodle(picture on left). I want my next dog to be a Beagle, or Beagle mix. I'm going to get one from a shelter. If it's not a Beagle or Beagle mix, that's fine, too. But we are going to get another dog in a few months from a shelter, unless someone is looking for a good home for their dog at the time, then we might get it that way. Never buy from a pet store. Here's why...http://stoppuppymills.orgEdit: I forgot to add that the reason I'm hoping for a Beagle or Beagle mix was because the one that was put to sleep in 2004 was a Beagle, and I so much miss that bark. It's not really to replace Beagle(yes, that was her name. She got that name before we ever got her).

• whatever floats your boat..if you want another dog to remind you of it..but id get something else..something different..thats wack if you have the same kind of dog all your life.

• My first dog ever, morgan, just recently died in may. Currently we are looking for a dog similar to her at first we wanted one almost exactly like her but now we are moving on to something just similar to her. You don't have to find one that is exactly like him. i think you'll know when you see 'the one'. and i dont think it will 'fix' your heart but it will fill in the hole. life without a dog can be very empty. and dont rush looking for another one. take your time. hope this helps =)Wishinuwelltoo-thanks 4 the poem cuz i recently lost my dog...obviously...but sometimes i feel like she is there and even though this happened almost 2 months ago it brought tears to my eyes. it was the first time i have cried about it in a while and it was very...reassuring.

• Sorry to hear about your loss,when my dalmation died.I was devastated,let yourself heal first,then when the time is right(and you'll know it),get your self another one,even with same colors.Trust me when I get another dalmation he/she is gonna be pretty close to what Benny- Beamer looked like

• wildrice, you're sick.I know how you feel. I just lossed my dog, Ginger. That's her in my avator with me. I miss her dearly also. When I get another dog, I am just going to look for one and not try to compare the two. I think you should go to your local shelter and see if you like any of the dogs there. Do not compare the dogs to your Flash, no dog could ever be the same as him or replace him. If you see a dog you love that doesn't look like him, adopt that dog. And if you see a dog you love that looks like him a lot, it's ok to adopt that dog too. But don't adopt a dog just because it looks like Flash. I think you should judge which dog you should get based on each individual new dog that you see without comparing them to Flash. This will help you know which new dog is truly meant for you, bassett hound or not. You will know which one is perfect for you. I'm sure you knew when you saw Flash that he was right for you. You could also try these two sites. http://dogsindanger.com/http://petfinder.com/They are very good rescue sites where you can save a life and find a specific breed you are looking for if you want. But if I were you, I would just search without putting in a specific breed because you never know what breed your next dog should be. Heck, I wanted a cockapoo or wheaten terrier and I got an 80 pound mutt! But she was definitely right for us. A great way to remember your Flash is by naming your next dog after him. Like Farrah or something if the dog is a girl. Good luck and I hope you find a new best friend. Also, I'm very sorry for your loss.Something that has helped me with my loss is this website. There is a forum and chat room and everyone on there has been through the same thing- they have lossed a pet and thought of them as family. It's an amazing support group and I'd love you to join us in the chat room =). We are usually in there starting at around 8:30 or 9 pm eastern. There is also a candel/prayer ceremony every Monday night at 10pm eastern.This is the website: http://rainbowsbridge.com/Link to chatroom & forum: http://rainbowsbridge.com/Grief_Support_Center/Grief_Support_Home.htmLink to candel ceremony: http://rainbowsbridge.com/CandleLighting_Tribute/default.htmYou can also make a residency for your baby Flash where other people can read his story and see pictures of him and sign a guestbook.You can make one of those here: https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Resident_Maintenance.aspxThis is Ginger's rainbow residency:http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/GINGE150/Resident.htmAgain, good luck!

• I am so sorry for your loss:(Nothing can replace your dog, and the love that you had for him. Time heals broken hearts. Your dog filled a space in your heart that was unique to him and him alone. Another dog will never fill that space.A new dog should be a new page in your life. It will not carry the soul of your dog, or have his unique personality traits. It will be new, and different, and your relationship will evolve over time.Get a new dog because you can give it a great home, but don't do it until you are ready to move forward. I caution you from choosing a dog based on appearance. It may look the same on the outside, but it won't be the same inside. You could be setting yourself up for disappointment.If anything, I believe that a replacement who looks just like your dog would probably be more heartbreaking - a constant reminder of your loss.Wait until the pain has subsided, and then decide....Best wishes to you and your family. And my sympathies.

• First of all I am sorry for your loss. I would suggest that you do not attempt to replace your other dog exactly. Dogs have personalities which are bound to be different. Their markings should be different too, so you can differentiate between the two. I would think if you got a new dog right away that looked very similar to your other dog, it would be confusing emotionally for you, and your expectations for your new dog could be troubled too. Good luck.

• Over the years, I've lost a few much-loved pets. Every time I do or one of my "guys" nears the end of their lives, I tell myself that I don't want another dog. I guess maybe I don't want to be hurt again. Who does? But the truth is, I love the companionship and the unconditional love they provide, so I'll probably always have one. I've had every kind of breed, from a Basset Hound to a Keeshond, and right now I have a fun, charming teddy bear Yorkie. Each had their own personalities and each one brought great memories to our family. But the next one I'll be fortunate enough to adopt will come from the humane society. Perhaps you're like me and simply giving a good home to an animal in need is the greatest way to mend a broken heart.