My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?

I'm on vacation visiting my mom and my fiance called last night to tell me my beloved Flash was dead. Last night I dreamed about him and how much fun we had with him as a family.. He was the best dog I have ever owned. I would like to have another…

My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?

I'm on vacation visiting my mom and my fiance called last night to tell me my beloved Flash was dead. Last night I dreamed about him and how much fun we had with him as a family.. He was the best dog I have ever owned. I would like to have another…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?...

• My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him?

My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm on vacation visiting my mom and my fiance called last night to tell me my beloved Flash was dead. Last night I dreamed about him and how much fun we had with him as a family.. He was the best dog I have ever owned. I would like to have another bassett hound I just don't know if getting one exactly like him (color pattern) would heal my broken heart.

My Bassett Hound just died and I miss him dearly. Is it a good idea to get a replacement exactly like him? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would just have him stuffed and mounted near the fireplace. That way, in the winter, when it is nice and cold, you can sit around the fireplace drinking hot cocoa, petting him, and remembering how much fun you used to have together.

• if you think so, but i wouldnt. I would wait and get a new kind, i think its kind of cruel to try and replace your old dog wiht a new one and maybe a new breed would help you move on just as much.

• You can't "replace" him. You can get another bassett hound, of course, but remember, getting a dog a lot like him might make you sad, because it would remind you so much of Flash.Sorry for your loss.

• I'm sorry about your dog. But, I don't think you should replace him right away unless you feel you are ready to. Although you may get a dog that might "look the same" as him, you know in the end, it will never be. Therefore, I suggest you just heal first and then look for another dog that best suits you. If you only would want a bassett hound breed, then definitely go for it. But in my honest opinion, I think having the same looking dog would only make me miss even more the one I lost....

• It might, but it also might hurt you, too. To see a dog with the same markings as Flash might just hurt you further. I waited a year before I got another dog, and she wasn't even the same breed as my dal who died. I'd suggest wait another month or so, then adopt a basset hound mix.

• no, it wouldn't. You would be comparing the new pup to your other dog all the time, which wouldn't be fair to your new pup. If you want to get the same breed, get one that looks different so that the pup doesn't have to live in the shadow of your other dog.and Britteny..the bigger question is do YOU know what it means? if you did, you wouldn't have called this person one...

• I think you should heal your broken heart before you get another dog. And if you get one right away, don't get one exactly like Flash. It will only hurt you more. If he's the best dog ever why try to make another dog fill his paw prints. You will only have resentment for the new dog and that's not fair to him.

• I would recommend waiting a while. The idea that you can get another pet to 'replace' the one you had is really unfair to the new pet who should be appreciated for THEM. Time heals. I didn't get another pet for more than a year after my 19 year old kitty died (I had her since she was 7 weeks old).

• First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. I know what it feels like to lose a pet you have had for a long time, and it will definitely take some time to get over. Everyone heals themselves in different ways. Sometimes when a pet dies all the owner wants to do is mourn over the loss and not even think about getting another pet so soon. And then again sometimes some owners replace their pets instantly because they think that a new pet will fill that gap that their deceased pet has left in their heart.In the end, it is your decision. Will you be able to take care of the dog just as well as your previous pet while you are in mourning?Will you look at the new pet and instantly remember your old one and start crying? Or will it make you happy?Just do what you think is best for you right now…Good luck to you, and I am sorry again.

• If you sincerely believe that a replacement would be good to take in because you feel like you were emotionally attached to him, then yes. Although, if you feel like it will only make things worse and that it will just be a worthless replacement then, no. Asking family members and friends is also really good idea ;] Hope this helps.

• Even if they look the same, which is unlikely because there is so much variation in type and markings in this breed, the new dog will not BE the same.If what you want is another Flash, then you are likely to be disappointed.But if you want a new Basset to open your heart to, and to learn about it's new and unique personality, then by all means get another one, but don't worry about the color.

• You can never replace a loved one, I think it would hurt to much as you would be constantly reminded of him. Take time to grieve and when you are ready, choose another special pooch to take care of. So sorry for your loss.

• My opinion would be not to get one that looks exactly like the one that died. You will only hurt more. I say go with your heart on this one, if you feel that you can handle a look alike then go for it.

• I wouldn't get one exactly like him because you will be comparing them. If he just died, I'd also wait a couple weeks before you got a new dog too, and I'd get a different type of dog. I'm sorry you lost him while on vacation, that sucks, but I hope your next dog will be a good dog too!

• aww! I'm so sorry for your loss! Maybe planning for your new dog will help you see a light at the end of the tunnel -- a chance to give a dog in a bad situation a hope at a new wonderful life with you.Check www.petfinder.com for dogs in need in your area

• I put a deposit down on a puppy and while we were waiting to pick her up, our older dog died suddenly. Ironically the new puppy looked almost identical to the one I just lost. It really broke my heart, and made loosing my older dog so much harder. I think it is harder when they look like the one you just lost. I would stick with the same breed, but maybe a different color. I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the teaYou were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.I walked with you towards the house as you fumbled for your key.I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said, "It's me."You looked so very tired, and sank into a chairI tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.It's possible for me to be so near you every dayTo say to you with certainty, "I never went away."You sat there very quietly, then smiled; I think you knew...In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.The day is over... I smile and watch you yawningAnd say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.Be patient, live your journey out... then come home to be with me.~Author Unknown~

• It is an utterly personal decision that nobody here can really answer for you. If you like bassett hounds and want to get another...that's fine. Just realize that you are not REPLACING Flash...you are getting another bassett hound.I'm sorry for your loss.