Is there anything I should know about basset hounds?

I am getting a 7wk old basset hound puppy tomorrow. Anything I should know about basset hounds before hand?

I am getting a 7wk old basset hound puppy tomorrow. Anything I should know about basset hounds before hand?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is there anything I should know about basset hounds?...

• Is there anything I should know about basset hounds?

Is there anything I should know about basset hounds? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am getting a 7wk old basset hound puppy tomorrow. Anything I should know about basset hounds before hand?

Is there anything I should know about basset hounds? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You need to clean their ears often.They have a *houndy* odor.They shed alot.They will follow their nose anywhere and need to be contained.Very stubborn.Difficult to potty train.They slobber and drool.They have a tendency ot over eat.They are not good swimmers. (that's an understatement)Sweet natured.

• I love Bassets. My last dog was one. One thing is to keep an eye on their weight. They can become chunky, and that is really bad for their long spine. Another thing, is make sure you have a secure yard. They get on a scent and keep on going.

• Well in general (traits aren't breed specific, but there are trends), based on what I have seen of bassets, they can be very destructive indoors if they don't get a lot of exercise and attention. My advice would definitely be to crate train for potty training, and then they might have to be crated during the day for a while even after they are potty trained, depending on if you find that you do have a destruction problem.Research the different health specific issues with the breed (I don't recall them), as you will want to know what you could be in for, and do any preventative treatment up front. Make sure you take your pup to the vet ASAP so that the vet can check them out.They do like to howl, so be prepared for the howling! :) Enjoy your pup!

• You didn't research the breed first ?!?!Basset Hounds are VERY hard headed and can be tough to train. Their not stupid, they just like to get their way and will do anything to accomplish that.You MUST be the boss, alpha, pack leader, etc or whatever you want to call yourself.Housetraining can be tough when it comes to hounds also DO NOT feed him too much. Hounds gain weight very fast and it's not easy to take it off.I hope you know he will howl and howl until his hearts content, it's what their bred for. You can't "train" it out of them.Never let him off leash unless he is in a secure yard.If you hadn't already, google the breed so you can prepare yourself!

• Congrats! I have an 8 yr old basset. I would definitely make sure you have a fenced yard or will be keeping the puppy on a leash when he's outside. Bassets are notorious for "following their noses" and wandering off. Also, I think it's a misconception that bassets are lazy dogs. They love walks, exercise and playing. Be forewarned that they have excellent taste and will chew up your Burberry shoes vs all the other inexpensive ones you have in your closet (or maybe that's just my dog). They do tend to shed, so get a brush for short haired dogs. You will also need a good pair of nail trimmers (their nails are thick and hard to trim) and also a cleaning solution (can buy at pet supply stores or vets) for their ears which tend to get dirty easily. I also recommend getting narrow feeding bowls for food and water. Otherwise expect their ears to get into the food/water when eating. Last but not least, they drool...a lot. be prepared to have a "drool rag" handy to wipe off slobber that can be projected onto the walls when they shake their heads.

• I think the drooling is the most annoying. My "bagle" is only 1/2 basset, and she is the sweetest thing. The other negative things listed by others here are "hound" traits, and are common to beagles, foxhounds as well. All dogs with floppy ears need to have ears checked and sometimes cleaned. Hounds can be loud, and yes, you need a fence. Once they get a scent, they will follow it out into traffic without even knowing. Getting fat is also a hound issue---they are all little beggars. I also have a beagle and a foxhound. Very loud around here--but the love they give back is immeasurable!! Very good with kids!!

• Yes, there is a lot you need to know about the breed!1- They drool... a lot!2- Their ears need cleaned quite frequently.3- Their eyes should be washed out and wiped off about once a week.4- They are VERY prone to heart, eye, spinal, and joint problems. Be sure that the breeder you are buying from does health testing on ALL of their dogs.5- They think they are lap dogs. They want love ALL OF THE TIME.6- Most of them have separation anxiety. This can be extremely annoying for your neighbors.7- They shed TONS.8- They need very strict diets and have to be on a feeding schedule. DO NOT free-feed. They will literally eat everything you put in front of them, they will even eat so much it kills them.9- They are very prone to bloat, so be careful!10- They are hounds, so they have a howl and bark that you aboslutely /cannot/ resist!11- They have a somewhat bad odor. I have noticed that almost every hound does.12- As a lot of Basset owners will tell you, 90% of their functioning and brain in wired straight to their noises. LOL. I am serious, these dogs will follow their noses anywhere the go once they smell something, and they will travel forever if it means finding that something. So be sure that you have a secure fenced in yard.13- Despite what a lot of people say, Bassets do have a lot of energy. They love going swimming (be very careful though!!), hunting, tracking, etc. If you want to have fun with him/her, hiking in the woods is like heaven for them. So many things to see and smell!14- They easily get overweight. Please be very careful whenever feeding the puppy. A proper Basset (not covered in wrinkles, like the European bloodlines) will weigh about 40lbs. Mine are fed 2 cups of dry kibble everyday, and they weigh 43lbs and 46lbs.15- They are the absolute WORST guard dogs -EVER-! The only way they will kill an intruder is by slobbering them to death!That is pretty much all I can think of at the moment, but feel free to email me. I have owned Bassets for years now, and raised two litters. So I am quite educated on the breed. I know all of their little quirks and flaws, and all of their benefits!They are wonderful dogs, but I just want you to know that they are a very sensitive, stubborn breed. Training basic things may be a breeze, but in most cases, housetraining can take months. Just be patient and loving, always positive!Good luck. :)

• You needed to research the breed before getting the puppy so you know what to expect. 1. Before I go into a lot, the number one thing is to take your pup to the vet for a thorough exam. The best vet is one that is familiar with basset hounds as it diminishes a lot of uneccessary treatments. A vet unfamiliar with bassets make look at their legs and think they have a deformity when there really isn't one.2. Handling. Get your puppy use to being handled every where. Get the puppy use to having the feet handled and nail trimming done. Personally I prefer a dremel to do nails and my gals were introduced to it while they were little.3. As soon as the pup is 2 weeks past the puppy vaccines, Socialize the pup. Have people visit, walk downtown, etc. Expose the puppy to as many situations as possible. Also socialize with other dogs especially since the pup is leaving it's mother so young. (7 weeks is really young and puppy will be missing out on a lot of it's mother's teaching.)4. Training - Patience, patience and more patience. Bassets love people but they want what they want when they want it. Two of the best commands you can teach them is "leave it and drop it" They are a little harder to train because of their determination. Potty training can be a challenge and can take up to a year with some bassets. If you are able to a dog door that is the best investment you can make once the pup is older. It really makes potty training so much easier. You have to be consistent with them and praise them for doing things right. They love attention. Yelling and especially spanking are detrimental to a bassets psyche. They are very sensitive and can mope for days.5. Keep them safe. No matter how well they may be trained, do not trust them off leash. All it takes is one good smell and they are off and running. Make sure that if you have a fenced yard to check it frequently for escape access. Gates should have locks on them. All it takes is for someone to open the gate and your basset is off and running. Microchip and make sure that they have a tag on just in case.8. Health issues. a. Eyes - Watch the eyes for signs of infection. Gentle washing daily goes a long way in preventing eye infections. You also need to familiarize your self with signs of glaucoma, cherry eye, etc.b. Ears- Have your vet show you how to clean the pups ears and what to use. Don't wash the ears with water as the canals don't get good air flow and that can lead to an infection. Also watch the ears for dirt and debris on the edges. Since the ears are so long they drag at times you do need to watch that the pup doesn't develop sore. Snoods are great during feeding time to help keep the ears flaps clean. Ears need cleaned weekly and possibly more frequently if you notice a large amount of brown gunk. I found the amount of gunk in the ears tends to be related to the food.c. Protect the back, neck and legs. No jumping off of furniture, out ofof the car, going up and down lots of stairs, etc. If the pup wears a collar avoid tugging as it can cause neck injury.d. Bloat. As a deep chested breed they are at risk for bloat. Please read up on this as it is a medical emergency.http://www.dailydrool.com/bloat.htmle. Weight - most bassets are food motivated and have the "I'm starving look" down pat. An overweight basset is more prone to arthritis, back problems and many other health issues than a normal weight basset. Don't give in to the "looks" with food.f. Teeth and gums. I have come to the conclusion that bassets build tartar faster than any other breed I have ever had. Start brushing that puppies teeth and at least 3 times a week. This will go a long way in decreased cost of dentals.g. Skin Checks - You need to check their arm pits and tummies for redness/irritation. Bassets are prone to yeast due to the amount of loose skin they have. You can do the checks daily during "belly rub' sessions.h. Chewing. Bassets are big chewers for the most part. Have lots of chew toys and squeaker toys available. Kongs filled with peanut butter or yogurt and then frozen are great! i. A tired basset is a good basset. This is not a lazy breed and do require at least daily walks. Playing is also a great way for them to expend energy. j. Counter cruising. Yes unless the are taught well they will cruise the counters, end tables, dining room table for goodies. Keep things out of their reach especially food. Remote controls and telephones need to be out of reach. I do have to disagree with one poster. I have 3 bassets and only one has a little bit of separation anxiety and she is my 8 yr old rescue. She is very attached to me since I was the one that saved her. To be honest my girls have very little houndy smell and are only bathed every couple of months, unless they roll in something. I have found the amount of smell is directly related to their food. Also not all bassets drool. On

• Wash their ears a lot, but don't poor water in them, they could result in an ear infection.Everyone says they have short legs, but they're are quick runners, and can jump really really high!Watch out if you water them outside, their ears could get really wet, and drag to the ground, causing the trail of tears all over again!Basset hounds are great pets, I am the child from a mother who has 8 basset hounds, she's been a breeder of them for 10+ years, and I know some things...If they ever have puppies, be sure that the big mother don't squash them that happens alot with almost any breed..Thx, good luck, and you made an AWESOME choice for getting a basset hound!