Any tips on keeping a treeing walker hound in an apartment?

My husband said I could get a puppy but he wants a walker hound. I know they are noisey so I'm looking for advice!

My husband said I could get a puppy but he wants a walker hound. I know they are noisey so I'm looking for advice!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Any tips on keeping a treeing walker hound in an apartment?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any tips on keeping a treeing walker hound in an apartment?

Any tips on keeping a treeing walker hound in an apartment? Dog Breed Discussions
      My husband said I could get a puppy but he wants a walker hound. I know they are noisey so I'm looking for advice!

Any tips on keeping a treeing walker hound in an apartment? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They aren't very good apartment dogs. They are loud and need tons of exercise. You would have to take it on at least two long walks every day plus play with it a bunch so it gets the exercise it needs. Then it might be quiet as long as its not left alone for a long time. I would suggest a small dog that doesn't have a lot of energy.

• 1 tip - DON'T. Its a hound, it will bark and bay and you all will be kicked out of the apartment. No way would you be able to keep that dog in an apartment. Wait till you have a house in the country where the neighbors won't complain.

• Any dog can be successful living in an apartment...Yes, even hounds. What will be important is that your dog get the necessary exercise. So, since he is a hunting breed, a simple 20 minute walk around the block is just not going to cut it.So, you find local parks with dog runs, so he can get a chance to run. Find a lake or beach that welcomes dogs, even if it's only off season.Believe it or not, I have met 2 Treeing Walkers that lived in Brooklyn, NY and I've met a Black & Tan Coonhound and a Plott, not to mention all the beagles that live here. It can work, you just will have to make a real commitment.Lastly, I've always lived in apartments and I've owned hounds.