How can I keep my rabbit cool during the summer while its in its hutch?

I just got my rabbit a new hutch so I can keep her outside but its just so hot. What can I do so my rabbit doesn't get over heated?

I just got my rabbit a new hutch so I can keep her outside but its just so hot. What can I do so my rabbit doesn't get over heated?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I keep my rabbit cool during the summer while its in its hutch?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I keep my rabbit cool during the summer while its in its hutch?

How can I keep my rabbit cool during the summer while its in its hutch? Other Pet Discussions
      I just got my rabbit a new hutch so I can keep her outside but its just so hot. What can I do so my rabbit doesn't get over heated?

How can I keep my rabbit cool during the summer while its in its hutch? Other Pet Discussions
    • We were taught in 4H to freeze liter bottles of water and put one in the hutch with the rabbit each day. They will lay next to it to stay cool. Clean and refreeze and reuse. Two is usually enough to do this all summer. Make sure the hutch is in shade or has a loose roof. Good luck.

• Hi. Yes, taking care of a rabbit is a bit difficult, haha.If the temperature gets much over 83F bucks can go temporarily sterile, taking a couple months after the onset of cooler weather to recover. When the temperatures hit 90F there is the very real probability of death to heat stroke.Location is important - never leave the cage or hutch in the sun. Sun bathing is a human thing - trapped in sun and heat a rabbit will die. Shade and air circulation helps them deal with it. Make sure there's plenty of water...refill during the day or use multiple bottles. If there's a steady breeze the rabbits will probably be fine in the shade with plenty of cool water. Good luck :)

• As others have said take a 20oz water or soda bottle (you can use a 1 liter also) and fill it with water. Freeze it solid, make sure you remove the label on it. Put it in the cage with the bunny and she will lay against it. You can put in a granite tile for bunny to lay on as well. Granite tends to be cooler than the air around it so it works to help cool your bunny too.Keep air circulating near the cage. You can use a fan on low near the cage, such as under the wire floor. (that does not mean put a fan blowing on your rabbit! )Make sure the hutch is in the shade and your rabbit has plenty of fresh water. Rabbits do much better in the cold than in the heat.