should i rescue a grey hound or go to the local shelter?

i want to rescue a dog. i live in a apartment that i can have a dog. i have a toy poodle as well. sahould i rescue a retired racing grey hound or find a shelter dog?

i want to rescue a dog. i live in a apartment that i can have a dog. i have a toy poodle as well. sahould i rescue a retired racing grey hound or find a shelter dog?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : should i rescue a grey hound or go to the local shelter?...

• should i rescue a grey hound or go to the local shelter?

should i rescue a grey hound or go to the local shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
      i want to rescue a dog. i live in a apartment that i can have a dog. i have a toy poodle as well. sahould i rescue a retired racing grey hound or find a shelter dog?

should i rescue a grey hound or go to the local shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
    • either. Depends though. the retired racing dog might be a little high maint. because of his history. but they all need homes.either way you are saving a life. (and when you save one you really save 2)

• If you want a greyhound, rescue a greyhound. If you want a different breed of dog, go to the shelter. Either way you will be saving a life and giving an unwanted animal a home. Kudos to you!!! :)

• either one. the rescue will probably be able to give you lots more breed specific info that you will probably want before making the final decision. thanks for thinking of either one!

• Whichever you prefer. Either way, you are doing a great thing. Greyhounds adapt to apartment living very well as long as they get plenty of walks and exercise (you can't let them outside in an unfenced area unleashed however, or off they'll go!)

• they are both good options, although the greyhounds do have groups that foster them until they are adopted (at least where I live they do). That isn't the case at Animal Control where just about every animal is on death row. Maybe check out Animal Control first and then go to the grey hound place. Thank you for saving a dog--any dog-- there are so many that need homes.

• Depends if you really want the greyhound or see another dog you really want at the shelter. Most greyhounds are adopted out through greyhound rescue groups. Many of them do pretty well in apartments, a lot of them are couch potatoes, but they still need a good run or walk every day.

• i'm just gonna tell you from my experience, it might be different with you.grey hounds are susceptible to separation anxiety. meaning, either the poor thing will cry and howl the whole time you're gone, or it'll tear up your apartment. however, if that is not the case and you have a perfectly calm grey hound then they make wonderful house pets because contrary to popular belief they don't need much excercise. just a quick, short walk maybe every other day is perfect for them.a rescue dog, well, you gotta worry about animal agression because they've been locked up for a long time. and house training them can be difficult because they're older and haven't had much human contact.if i were you, i'd check out a shelter and see if there wasn't a small dog that would do well with your little poodle, and if not then you could try for the grey hound.

• I would choose an animal shelter, they have great selections, and remember most of them euthanize, so you are saveing their life and getting a great friend at the same time. Grey hounds are housed forever, they don't face being euthanized. Either would be a great pet, I just look at the save a life part. Good luck!!

• Adopting any dog is a great choice, but I'm biased. I owned a retired greyhound for 7 yrs. and he was awesome. I also lived in an apartment and he was great. Read up on them or speak to a foster parent and they will tell you they are the most gentle, sweetest 45mph couch potato you will ever meet. By the way, whatever decision you make will be a great one.

• Either is great - but be aware that your local Animal Services is a kill shelter and you would literally be saving a dog's life if you got one there.Greyhound rescue is wonder too, if you know you want a greyhound, go for that. The dogs in foster are safe, but if you take one of them, you make room for another greyhound to go into foster, so you save a life there too.Good choices, both.

• id say either would be good:)the greyhound would love you to pieces and from what i hear they are good dogs and love to be able to just 'relax''....but im also for shelter dogs.g and check out a few options and see who catches your attention:)good luck and good work- i love hearing of rescuing

• First of all well done you for wanting to rehome a dog in the first place - Being a greyhound owner I am biased on the subject, but if you are looking for a dog that just wants someone to love it after several years of mistreatment then greyhounds are your dog, The are very loving, very loyal and just want to please their new owners, They dont need much exercise, and will spend many a lazy hour sleeping by your feet. One word of warning though, they are not always good with cats (the urge to chase small furry things never really leave them!)

• Definitely a shelter dog. Greyhounds are a lot larger than people think they'll be when they see them on television. They need lots of room to run around and play, such as a fenced in backyard. They also need someone who is going to be able to get out and exercise with them daily, because they naturally have lots and lots of energy. When dogs don't have a way to burn up that energy, they end up getting bored and rambunctious, and many times, they start getting destructive.If you have an apartment, and you already have one dog, I'd suggest getting another small dog. Maybe something along the lines of another poodle, or some sort of terrier. Even a Pug would be good, since they're best kept indoors anyway. Good luck, and I really hope you choose to adopt an unwanted pet. I'm a volunteer at the Humane Society shelter in my county, and I have 3 shelter dogs living with me. They're always the most grateful dogs!

• Either would be great. Most dogs however once in a rescue are safe from being put down. This is not always true for shelter dogs. Please understand I feel all dogs need a forever home including the one in rescues but I worry so about shelter dogs.