How can I stop my pet rabbit from chewing on my carpet?

We have a pet rabbit we allow to roam around the house.He likes to chew and scratch at the carpet .We"ve tried banging a pot or misting him with water,but he just stops and starts again.

We have a pet rabbit we allow to roam around the house.He likes to chew and scratch at the carpet .We"ve tried banging a pot or misting him with water,but he just stops and starts again....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I stop my pet rabbit from chewing on my carpet?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I stop my pet rabbit from chewing on my carpet?

How can I stop my pet rabbit from chewing on my carpet? Other Pet Discussions
      We have a pet rabbit we allow to roam around the house.He likes to chew and scratch at the carpet .We"ve tried banging a pot or misting him with water,but he just stops and starts again.

How can I stop my pet rabbit from chewing on my carpet? Other Pet Discussions
    • The rabbit probably thinks it's grass. Try taking him outside and put him in a play-pin and let him eat some grass. After a while bring him back inside and see if he doesn't like it as much. That's who we stopped our rabbits chewing problem.

• If i were you i would spray the the carpet with some bitter apple it can also work with dogs just make sure you ask your veterinarian for a safe brand that wont hurt him if this does not work,try showing him something more interesting to play with or chew that he is aloud.get him /her some bunny toys like a rolllabout that you can put him in,some tubs to crawl though, or you can bring him outside in an enclosed area in your yard.

• I suggest buying him a doggy exercise pen (you can find these on petsmart.com) or build one yourself with metal fencing and get a clear, thick plastic mat to cover the floor inside the pen (you can find these in most office supply shops). It also helps if you trim your bunny's nails regularly, so they can't do much damage. That way the bunny can have the freedom to move around without damaging your carpet.

• My rabbits do this a little too. I clap my hands and say no. If they continue I say no and squirt them with water- it needs to be a stream of water because they ignore misting. If he's not paying any attention I shoo him away. My rabbits have learned that I mean no when I say it and will usually stop now, then hop away and pretend they're innocent. :)If he is chewing in one particular area, try covering it with something else. Move your furniture or better yet, give him something appropriate to shred there. I make play houses out of connected cardboard boxes and put hay and newspaper inside. Then I put them on top of the spot the rabbit likes to chew. They have so much fun with the cheap toy that they forget about the carpet for a few weeks, until the boxes are destroyed and it's time to make a new one. You can also try putting an untreated grass mat over the spot for the rabbit to play with, although this seems too similar to chewing carpet for me.