How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle?

I have a 13" Beagle just over 5 months old and is just under 16 lbs. She looks skinny, slightly visible ribs and narrow through the middle and hips. How much should I be feeding her and how many times a day to keep her a healthy weight?

I have a 13" Beagle just over 5 months old and is just under 16 lbs. She looks skinny, slightly visible ribs and narrow through the middle and hips. How much should I be feeding her and how many times a day to keep her a healthy weight?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle?...

• How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle?

How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 13" Beagle just over 5 months old and is just under 16 lbs. She looks skinny, slightly visible ribs and narrow through the middle and hips. How much should I be feeding her and how many times a day to keep her a healthy weight?

How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Check this link for correct feeding guidelines. This food is available in PetsMart and Petco and guaranteed!http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdogpuppy.asp

• make sure your dog food is of the top quality and feed what it says on the bag. your pet may not be getting the right nourishment and that is why it looks skinny.some breeds of dogs back portion takes a longer time to develop. but your puppy should be well in good shape by now

• Well what kind of food is she eating??? You can look on the bag itself and it will tell you how much everyday to give. My little one is about 21 lbs and the puppy science diet she is one ... she has about a cup and a half everyday. Until she reaches 25 lbs and then she'll be on 2 cups a day! Also I give her a little under a cup of food for morning and afternoon and when I get home from work she gets the rest when I eat dinner. So I guess three times a day! Good luck. you can also ask your vet what should be a good ammount!

• Get a good brand of dog food. That should help. The bag usually has the portions on the bag and that is usually all they need.they usually go by weight so you could feed it all at once or split it up for two portions twice daily. Also talk to your vet about deworming you dog. If your puppy is getting into things that he isn't supposed to have like other peoples garbage or even table scraps then that is what it may be

• I personally think puppies should have food available all the time. They are growing and need all the nutrition they can get. Being thin could also be a sign that the food you are feeding your puppy isn't good quality and they aren't getting much nutritional value out of it. If you notice they are pottying a lot the food is going right through them.I like Nutro Natural Choice Food (dry and can). I've fed that to my dogs since they were puppies and they've had long healthy lives.I'd also have your puppy checked by a vet, she could have worms and they could better evaluate your pet's overall health and nutrition.

• Puppies should be fed more frequently than adult dogs. 2-3 times a day until they are 1 year old. Since yours is almost 6 months you can get away with feeding her twice a day (1 cup each meal), after that you can cut back. Nutro is a very good dog food, that is what I feed my dogs and they are healthy and a nice weight. She should be getting fed a good "puppy food" until she is a year old, than she can go on to the adult food.

• Do not go by how someone else thinks your dog may be skinny. ASK a professional. At 5 months your pet should have been to the vet a couple times. What does your vet say?I guage the health of my min pins on how active and healthy they act as well as how I perceive their size. Some humans think dogs should be heavy some think thin is in. But your local vet... or a local reputable breeder (where did you get that cute dog) is a good place to start. Personally I am overweight myself and would not wish that on a dog! I have a 16 yr old minature pincher that still acts like a puppy, but he never gets people food... no chips, cookies, or icecream! And he always had a measured amount of food fed to him at 3 intervals when he was a pup but after a year old he gets fed only once a day, about a cup and a half of high quality dog food. He only weights about 9 lbs now and is perfect as far as my vet is concerned. He is active and still chases squirrels and rabbits around the yard. (frequent and fun excersize is great too) I should follow my vets good advice for my diet and exersize!.

• There are many many different varieties of doggy; and there are even more varieties of doggy personalities. Is your pup the kind who will devour all food withing smell range at mealtimes? if so, be sure to keep it on about 2 - 2.5 cups everyday. if not, it is nice to just keep food around all the time, just be sure to replace any uneaten food after about 24 hours, as it gets stale. Some of the other answers are great! Nutro is an excellent dog food that be found at most or all pet chains like pet supplies plus, petsmart and petco. you should feed the puppy puppy food until he/she is about one year, then start mixing in adult food slowly to get her used to the taste. (although you can avoid this by keeping the same "flavour" and brand - they really can't tell too much difference unless its a really picky type of dog)after about 7 years, switch her to a nice senior variety. to make puppy's coat lusterous (sp?) and silky soft, you can occasionally mix in a scrambled or fried egg. Now lastly, to tell if your dog is over/underweight look at her from a bird's eye view when she is standing; if she looks like a straight tube of puppy-sausage, shes a little fat, if she has a slight waist in which you can see the last 2 or 3 sets of ribs outlined, then she should be fine, however, if the ribs are prominently defined, or you can see extra-bumpy vertebrae along the end of her rump/hip area, then for god sakes, beef the poor thing up! hope this helps, i've been working with dogs for about five years now, if you need any other kinds of help, feel free to email me.

• I have found that Purina Puppy Chow is the greatest puppy food, my puppy loves it, on the bag it has guidelines for how much to feed your puppy based on its projected adult weight and what a dog who is to thin or to heavy looks like. also alot of puppies will gorge themselves if you leave food out all the time. they are like human babies and can't always tell when the are full. Split up the recommened daily amount into three or four portions a day.

• The first thing you should ask yourself is, "what is the quality of the food she is eating?" A low quality food with alot of bad ingredients will not provide her with the right nutrition she needs to develop correctly.Many foods, even the popular ones (such as Iams, Science Diet, Nutro, Eukanuba, etc.) are actually poor in quality despite the hype and the advertising that claims otherwise. And foods like Pedigree, Purina, and others like it, are the worst food for any dog. Just read the ingredient label on the bag of food and see what it really contains. If you can understand what the ingredients are then you will realize whether your pup is getting the proper nutrition she deserves.Whatever puppy food you feed her, make sure that it contains a human-grade "named" meat (chicken, lamb, etc) and that this meat (in whole or meal form) is listed FIRST. Dogs need more meat-based protein than anything else in their diet. If a "named" meat is listed first then the predominant ingredient is a meat-based protein. Always avoid any "unnamed" meat source ("meat" by-product, "meat and bone" meal, "animal" fat), as well as artificial preservatives, colors or flavors, and corn, wheat and soy. But this is just the beginning.There are many more things to know about dog food, what ingredients to look for and those you should avoid. Click onto the following links to help guide you through the maze.Some personal recommendations for good to great quality foods are:CANIDAE CANINE ALL LIFE STAGESCHICKEN SOUP FOR THE PUPPY LOVER'S SOULPREMIUM EDGE HEALTHWISE NATURAL BALANCEWELLNESSEAGLE PACK HOLISTIC SELECTINNOVADIAMOND NATURALSAs for how much and how often to feed her, just read the label on the bag.Frankly, at her age it wouldn't hurt to feed her three times a day, but two times should really be adequate. Take the food's recommended daily amount for a puppy her age and weight, and divide it by the number of times you feed her. She should then get this amount at every meal. (If it's recommended to feed her two cups per day, and you feed her twice a day, then she should get one cup at each meal)You may want to feed her slightly more than what's recommended for a few days, just to help her gain some weight. It sounds like she could use it!Note that every month or two you will have to adjust the amount of food you give her according to the directions on the bag. When she reaches a year old it's time to put her on adult dog food.And when feeding her always make sure that she has plenty of fresh, cold water available. It's especially important if she eats only dry food.Best wishes to you both!

• She actually sounds pretty close to the right weight.Much of your decision on how much to feed her depends on what you are feeding, and how much exercise she is getting. If you are feeding a raw diet, you would feed 2 -3% of her body weight. If you are feeding a decent brand of kibble then probably about 2 cups a day is sufficient. Generally, I have found that the amount that the bags of dog food suggest is too much. You should be able to feel your dogs spine (but it should not be pronounced), and just be able to identify the ribs. Your dog should have a "waist", or a narrowing after the rib cage. But again, not too much.And your dog should get at least a half hour of exercise daliy.

• I HAVE A 1YR OLD BEAGLEI THINK YOU SHOULD LOOK ON THE FEED BAG.SOME FEED HAS MORE PROTEIN THAN OTHERS & TAKES LESS. I DOG IS OUT OF TOP STOCK. I TRY TO KEEP HER LOOKING LEAN BUT NOT BONELY.THEY WILL OVER EAT IF YOU LET THEM.IF THEY RUN A LOT THEY ALSO NEED MORE FOOD. IF THEY ARE ON THE GROUND BE SURE TO WORM THEM REG-LY. THEY ARE GREAT DOGS (GOOD WITH KIDS) THEY TEN TO KEEP THIER NOSE TO THE GROUND A LOT & HAVE A WAY OF GETTING INTO THE HUNT & WILL GET LOST IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL WITH THEM.