How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle?

I have a 13" Beagle just over 5 months old and is just under 16 lbs. She looks skinny, slightly visible ribs and narrow through the middle and hips. How much should I be feeding her and how many times a day to keep her a healthy weight?

How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle?

I have a 13" Beagle just over 5 months old and is just under 16 lbs. She looks skinny, slightly visible ribs and narrow through the middle and hips. How much should I be feeding her and how many times a day to keep her a healthy weight?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much should I be feeding my 5 months old Beagle?...

• Well, I fed and still feed my 15" male beagle a little over 1.5 cups of kibble twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. He is an outside dog so right now I've been giving him a little more cause of the cold. He weighs 38 lbs at the moment but he's a solid strong little beagle, all muscle. I would say if she's an inside dog, 1.5 cups twice a day would be plenty as long as she gets her exercise as well.

• To know if your dog is the appropriate weight with good cover, you should be able to lightly run your hands down their sides starting at the neck & feel each rib. You should not have to apply pressure to feel them. The narrowing from the rib cage to the hips is o.k. as long as it is not a "caved" in look. If the dog has a good cover on the ribs or as you stated "slightly" visible ribs is o.k.Your dog is still a pup & Beagles are kind of high energy, are you feeding twice a day? I suggest this. Check the bag of food that you are using, there should be a "guide" telling you the amounts to feed. These are a "guide"& your dog may eat more or less than is shown on the bag. Feed 1/2 of the recommended amount in the morning & 1/2 in the evening. If she finishes it without problems & still acts hungry after each feeding, add a little more to each feeding. You do not want to over feed & you want to increase the amount a little at a time. As she matures & her energy levels decrease, so will her appetite. You need to just keep an eye on her weight, like you are obviously doing. If she starts leaving food in her bowl after each feeding, begin to decrease the amounts you are giving her at each feeding. If you find she is looking "ribby" where her ribs & hip bones are OBVIOUSLY showing through, then increase her food, at little at a time. I also suggest making the increase in the food mostly during her morning feeding. Also watch her coat. Does it have a healthy sheen to it? When it is time for her to shed, does she shed A LOT or does she shed when it is NOT time? Look at her eyes, do they look bright & shiny? Be sure to keep up on her vaccinations & keep her on a regular worming schedule. These can be worked out with her vet. Be sure to keep her on a good flea & tick product, I suggest FRONTLINE PLUS & depending on where you live, a good heartworm medicine, if recommended by her vet. I suggest a high quality (No corn, cereals or fillers)food formulated for SMALL BREED dogs. At around a year, switch her over to a high quality food formulated for SMALL BREED Adult dogs.Remember, she is still in the pup stage & she will fill out some as she gets older. Just keep an eye on her & don't let her get to heavy. YOU DO WANT TO BE ABLE TO FEEL EVERY RIB WITH ONLY THE SLIGHTEST PRESSURE. It sounds like you are doing a good job with her. Keep it up....

• three times a day but i had a beagle and a puggle and beagles will literally eat themselves to DEATH! your puppy may have a small virus that wont allow her to eat. take her to the vet if needed. but overall, feed her as you see fit. you will know when enough is enough.

• bejng "owned" by my third dog i read the answers & add mine.. ASK YOUR VET!!!! there are too many things to consider with each individual dog. your vet can tell you whats best for your dog. good luck

• I like to do this with my old beagle I reccomend feeding her a lil extra if u can see her ribs feed her twice a day a small portion in the morning a bigger in the afternoon if she starts to get fat try making the portions smaller or take away the small one.

• We have two female Beagle puppies. They each have 1/2 cup of dog food twice a day. We also give them bits of sliced cheese, pepperoni, and beef broth in their food. Her ribs shouldn't be showing, so you might need to feed her more than you have been. We also leave dry puppy food and water with them at all times. Our girls weigh 19 and 24 lbs. at 8 months.

• I'm a handler and I deal in beagles especially ,,,, I breed them and field train them ,,,, I've read the answers you've gotten so far and I'm glad I'm not a pup under the care of some of them ,,,, For a 5 month old as you've described ,,,, You should feed her 3 times daily but in controls amounts ,,,, It's not too hard to figure out the amount either ,,,, Just look at the animal and figure how big a stomach she would have ,,,, For a dog your size you could figure that it's stomach might be as big as a tennis ball when full at the most ,,,, You don't want to over feed her though ,,,, Three times a day with an amount of food that would equal the size of just over half of what a tennis ball would be and be consistant ,,,, A morining feeding say around 7 or 8 AM with a little less than half the volume or size of a tennis ball ,,,, Then a noon feed with an amount that would be maybe three quarters the volume and then again in the evening around 6 PM with the same amount that you gave her in the moring ,,,, You don't want the food to lay heavy on her stomach when she is sleeping so the 7 or 8 AM amout is plenty for the night ,,,, As I said earlier though ,,,, the important thing is to be consistant ,,,, Meals on time with the same amount I explained earlier and you might consider putting a raw egg on the food maybe twice a week too ,,,, that will keep the coat in good condition ,,,, People have daily routines where their food intake is concerned ,,,, or they should have ,,,, and it's no different for a domesticated animal ,,,, As your pup is only 5 months old then you should put her on a schedule of feeding as I described and keep her on it for at least the first year ,,,, After that you can reduce the feedings to twice a day at say 9 or 10 O'Clock and maybe around 6 or 7 at night ,,,, What you feed her is important too ,,,, They have excellent puppy chows on the market ,,,, They are a nutricious mixture that is easy on the stomach and the puppies metabolism ,,,, Also another thing ,,,, Feeding her 3 times a day with controlled amounts will prevent her from gulping her food also ,,,, Even if she's the runt of the litter ,,,, The runt of the litter usually has this habbit of gulping its food because while still taking mothers milk he had to compete for his food with the bigger pups and probably missed out allot of times ,,,, This situation will make the pup greedy and tends to make them eat too fast later on as well as make them prone to over eating if it's available to them to do so ,,,, Dogs are intelligent ,,,, especially beagles and the runt beyond that ,,,, It's usually the runt of a Beagle litter that makes the best hunter ,,,, Once you get your dog on a regular and consistant feeding schedule then she will realize that the availability of food is no problem and she will settle down ,,,, I do have a concern about her condition as you explained it though ,,,, Ribs showing and thin at the hips ,,,, If this persists after you've gotten her on a consistant diet for a while ,,,, then I would definitely take her and a sample of her stool to a vet and have her checked for worms ,,,, She may have gotten the spoors from anywhere ,,,, Follow your vets advice from then on ,,,, Good luck with the pup ,,,, With proper feeding and care you will get allot of enjoyment out of her ,,,, Beagles are especially good dogs for pets as well as hunters ,,,,, Yoda told you this ,,,,

• My dog is a beagle, looks so skinny too. Though he is abiut 2-3 I give him one cup of food in the morning and one when I eat dinner (6-7) and he's good. Sometimes I give him more or less, but he is healthy : ) Hope that helps : )