How to deal with an aggressive dog?

I rescued a large-breed dog a few months ago. He exhibited the usual signs of anxiety and disobedience as expected but nothing that raised red flags for me. He quickly learned new commands and adapted to his new home. Later on, his previous family let it…

I rescued a large-breed dog a few months ago. He exhibited the usual signs of anxiety and disobedience as expected but nothing that raised red flags for me. He quickly learned new commands and adapted to his new home. Later on, his previous family let it…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to deal with an aggressive dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to deal with an aggressive dog?

How to deal with an aggressive dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      I rescued a large-breed dog a few months ago. He exhibited the usual signs of anxiety and disobedience as expected but nothing that raised red flags for me. He quickly learned new commands and adapted to his new home. Later on, his previous family let it slip that he was attacked by their dogs on several occasions and gotten in a fight with one of the dogs. Of course, what I thought were mere signs of disobedience (lunging at other dogs during walks, barking, etc) now started to look more like signs of aggression. Although I've worked with aggressive dogs before, I never dealt with dogs who've actually were in dog fights.I enrolled the help of an animal behavioralist. After spending way too much money, she told me that my dog is fine and simply needs some positive reinforcement. I continuously worked with my dog...utilizing any reasonable disciplinary measures I could find in dog training books, articles ,etc. I hired a knowledgeable individual to work with my dog when I'm away. Basically, I can honestly say that I've tried everything by now but my dog's aggression has not changed even at the slightest.We are no longer welcome at our local dog park because my dog tried to attack a boxer without a reason. I have to be extra cautious when I take my dog on walks because he tries to lunge at any other dog we encounter. It's gotten to the point where I'm not sure if I can rehabilitate this dog. I've considered putting him to sleep because I'm not sure what else I can do.Anyone with the same experience? Anyone with success stories or pointers or advice? Thank you in advance.At this point, I do walk him on a short leash and sternly say "No". When he sees another dog, it's like he's in a trance. You could probably put a bone in his face and he'll just continue lunging and barking. I tried positive reinforcement (treats when he follows commands) and that only works when no one else is around. I've tried spritzing him with water per the behaviorist's suggestion. Doesn't work either. I've never had that problem before and I've worked with some very bratty dogs. As far as giving him back is concerned, the family refuses to take him back. Besides, he was very neglected when I got him. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I returned him to a household where the dogs constantly fight.

How to deal with an aggressive dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Discipline him. Make him sit when a dog comes past but whatever you do do not put him down. Give him back if you can not handle him. It's not his fault his background has been effected. It's up to you to be very firm and show that dog who's boss. He will get better if you are as firm with him as possible if he does shout at him it may sound rediculous but it works dogs know when there is anger in your voice and when he gets to the point when he just sits and lets a dog go past praise and encourage him also, keep him on as short a lead as possible to start with.. It's going to take time but it will work!! Good luck!!

• I unfortunately have some advice for you. My overly agressive dog was given back to the breeder without compensation just because no one else wanted her. In the meantime, under my care she gave birth to 7 wonderful even tempered puppies. I chose a sire by temperment only. He was a champion but very well manered. I know I only got lucky but my granddaughter grew up with a wonderful puppy from that litter. The pup is now 14, the granddaughter is 16 and all is well. None of these dog's are "throw aways". You just need to feel what they need and give them your all.

• I rescued a rotweiler/German shepherd mix and she is sweet as ever to everyone she meets, human that is. My mom had brought her small dog over with her one day and my dog bite my moms hand trying to get to her dog. Why? I have no idea. Ive noticed its mostly small dogs and cats though. gone Some large dogs just have that prey drive and there is nothing you can do. I let her out in the backyard to get her exercise and keep her away from my cat. She is a wonderful dog in every other aspect. I think you should just take precautions and keep your pet away from animals as long as it doesn't try to hurt any people it comes into contact with. If you can't handle not taking your pet to the dog park then take it to a rescue and just tell them she isn't good with other animals or give your pet to a new home that has no other animals and is ok with not bringing it around other animals

• It may seem like there is no way to cure your dog, but don't put him to sleep yet! Fighting with other dogs can mean a few things. The most common of the reasons is the dog is very territorial. If another dog likes to mark his scent on everything and so does this dog, there can be a major conflict between them, because they are fighting over DOMINANCE, and that is a natural instinct. They best way to solve this is to let your dog mark on some spots, not on everything, and try to keep that dog away from dogs that he shows aggression to. The breed of dog may have something to do with this aggression, as well. Dogs like retrievers, shepherds and labs have a more calm and mellow personality, while dogs like chihuahuas, rottweilers and dalmatians tend to have a more snappy, aggressive nature, but this isn't always the case. The dog could have been infected by something that caused it to be aggressive (ex. rabies, but I doubt it), and, this has been the case, many, MANY times, if the dog has been adopted and has had another caretaker before you and the previous owner was not treating it well, the dog may have taught itself to be aggressive towards everyone since nobody has taken good care of him. It may sound ridiculous, but this has happened several times. A dog that is aggressive to other dogs for no apparent reason, may be sick as well. You could ask the vet for a quick check up to be sure everything checks out okay. If the dog is just naturally aggressive, consider getting it a muzzle for a while until you have trained it. I don't recommend muzzles at all, but if the dog is trying to bite everyone, this may be the only way to prevent that. To train the dog to show kinder behaviour, you should bring a small sack of treats on every walk. Whenever your dog shows aggression, slide your hand down the leash until it is just above the dog's head and give it a slight tug towards you. The dog may be showing aggression because he thinks he is in control of you. To show that you are in control, stand up straight with the leash by your side, making sure the dog is walking alongside you, not behind or in front of you. If the dog is not beside you, give the leash a tug and give the dog an encouraging click with your tongue or a whistle, so he hears you and knows to get back beside you. If done correctly, this will DEFINITELY help with your dog's behaviour. When he listens, feed him a treat. Do this as many times as needed. I hope this helps! Email me at [email protected] if you need further assistance.