How do you know when dog aggression has gone too far?

My dog has aggressive issues, and my trainer says she doesn't think he'll ever be a normal dog. He isn't the worst I've seen. I can usually get within 4 feet of people and dogs before he growls, but how will I know if he can't be saved? And don't say…

My dog has aggressive issues, and my trainer says she doesn't think he'll ever be a normal dog. He isn't the worst I've seen. I can usually get within 4 feet of people and dogs before he growls, but how will I know if he can't be saved? And don't say…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you know when dog aggression has gone too far?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you know when dog aggression has gone too far?

How do you know when dog aggression has gone too far? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog has aggressive issues, and my trainer says she doesn't think he'll ever be a normal dog. He isn't the worst I've seen. I can usually get within 4 feet of people and dogs before he growls, but how will I know if he can't be saved? And don't say when he bites somebody because that is very unlikely to happen with me walking him with a muzzle and such. Plus he is fear aggressive so he tries to avoid people at all costs. But how do you know that a dog can't be saved from it's aggression?

How do you know when dog aggression has gone too far? Dogs Training Discussions
    • when you can't walk him within 4 feet of people, he needs a muzzle, and the trainer states he'll never be normal.The best thing you can do is:Never take the dog in publichave the dog put down to save yourself a lawsuit if you can't keep him at home.

• How long have you been working with the trainer? You may want to find a new one, just judging from what she said. Although he will never be able to be fully trusted around people, the aggression can be brought to a manageable level and controlled.It may take years of training to "fix" this. Don't give up.Find a trainer that uses *only* positive reinforcement methods:http://positively.com/dog-training/find-a-trainer/http://www.apdt.com/petowners/ts/default.aspxIf, after working with a trainer for, let's say a year, (and you have been sticking to the methods consistently) and there still is NO improvement (even a tiny, tiny bit of improvement is good!), then euthanasia should be considered.

• Every dog can be saved from aggression....it comes down to the old saying...there are no bad dogs just bad owners....dogs perfectly reflect their owners....if this dog has had previous owners that have treated it harshly with abuse and screaming than the dog will act aggressive....the only way to turn this around is to surround the dog with happiness and love....when you are calm...your dog will be calm...when you are nervous...your dog will be nervous...keep this up and it will get used to the good behavior and reflect your moods more than the past owners..........ohh and dont listen to the first guy that responded hes an idiot and it wont take years if you keep it up every day

• He might simply be scared of people. Has he been in an abusive home in the past? If so, I'm afraid he may never truely heal. I'm no dog expert, but if I were in your situation, I'd do my best to love the dog as much as I could and treat him well.For the guy who said put the dog down, thats just morally wrong. A dog is an intelligent animal, and if one happens to be a little different, killing it is not the answer. Thats like killing a kid because he has downs syndrome. Its not right.Don't put your dog down. A dog is YOUR companion to be loved by YOU.

• Well I wouldn't take him in public places with lots of people.I would try finding a new trainer.It may take a lot of time to work with your dog on his problems but I think he will eventually turn around.Just don't give up on him! (:Goodluck