Will a Dog show aggression to someone who smells foul?

Recently my dog has been snarling at a family member with a bowel condition. He is usually a calm and generally friendly dog, usually playful and a tad hyperactive at times... but when this family member approaches the dog, he will usually shy away of…

Recently my dog has been snarling at a family member with a bowel condition. He is usually a calm and generally friendly dog, usually playful and a tad hyperactive at times... but when this family member approaches the dog, he will usually shy away of…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Will a Dog show aggression to someone who smells foul?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will a Dog show aggression to someone who smells foul?

Will a Dog show aggression to someone who smells foul? Dogs Training Discussions
      Recently my dog has been snarling at a family member with a bowel condition. He is usually a calm and generally friendly dog, usually playful and a tad hyperactive at times... but when this family member approaches the dog, he will usually shy away of bare his teeth, ocassionally nipping. Will the "not so pleasant" odour from this person be triggering this, or are there other issues to look at?

Will a Dog show aggression to someone who smells foul? Dogs Training Discussions
    • No, dogs are actually quite fascinated with foul odors, and love pushing their noses into that stuff. Some even roll in it.this is *not* the problem.Maybe your relative is leaning over your dog, and maybe your dog hasn't been well socialized, maybe you do not get many visitors or whatever, Maybe your dog is not used to males, large people, ppl with glasses, ppl with deep voices, or whatever. and maybe your dog has not had enoug chances to ever become accustomed to people leaning over him.Have the relative avoid staring into dogs face,{VERY BAD MANNERS IN DOG WORLD} and not lean over dog til dog has come to accept him and is better socialized dog.Have relative offer your dog slow blinks...have the relative, or you, both YAWN at the dog. That is how you tell a dog "i'm no threat, calm down." in HIS language. He'll appreciate the message.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgnLgHFRJu4Have relative toss bits of real meat,or hotdogs, cut up very small, very very small, to the dog.Next visit, have relative hand the dog bits of real meat or hotdog, cut up very small, to the dog.Continue with treats.Continue your efforts to better socialize your dog, have strangers toss him or hand him treats--EVERY DAY. (tiny treats, to avoid a full or fat dog, dogs do NOT care how big a treat is) HELP YOUR DOG LEARN, "I LIKE HUMANS!! HUMANS ARE GREAT!!" since somehow your dog is not 100% up on that message....IF IF If and when dog ever allows this person to pet him, have relative pet dogs CHEST, not his head, but do not push this partshould be fine after that, but do continue to try to 'catch up' your dog on some chapters in socialization with all kinds of ppl that somehow, your dog missed out on. IT'S NEVER TOO LATE to Teach your dog "people = treats! good!".

• It is possible that your family member is in pain or that he is socially uncomfortable due to his condition, and is sending out bad vibes. I think this is more likely than that it is a reaction to odor. I would suggest you help this person to be very relaxed around your dog and not attempt to approach him... let the dog come up to the person. The person should avoid eye contact and direct from-the-front stance. Have the person try standing with his side toward the dog, and drop treats on the floor. If the dog takes the treats, gradually begin offering treats from hand... again, with the person's side toward the dog and no eye contact. The dog should be the one to initiate interaction... until the dog is ready, the person should ignore the dog and act as if it isn't even there.

• Well I have heard of dogs attacking there owner if they come home drunk. I don't think what you are talking about is to much different. Hopefully the foul smelling one can get it under control and maybe treat the dog to show the dog that he or she is not a threat.