Is there a better way to apply topical flea/tick medication?

I've been using Frontline Plus on our dogs for years. We tried Advantix but it just didn't work for ticks. We live in Tickville central with black-legged deer ticks, dog ticks and an occasional wood tick though it appears that the more benign wood tick…

I've been using Frontline Plus on our dogs for years. We tried Advantix but it just didn't work for ticks. We live in Tickville central with black-legged deer ticks, dog ticks and an occasional wood tick though it appears that the more benign wood tick…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is there a better way to apply topical flea/tick medication?...

• Is there a better way to apply topical flea/tick medication?

Is there a better way to apply topical flea/tick medication? General Dog Discussions
      I've been using Frontline Plus on our dogs for years. We tried Advantix but it just didn't work for ticks. We live in Tickville central with black-legged deer ticks, dog ticks and an occasional wood tick though it appears that the more benign wood tick is getting squeezed out by disease carrying deer and dog ticks. I dread the Frontline application because one is not supposed to let it wick into the hair. That's impossible, even on a shaved area. Am I being too cautious? It takes me 20+ minutes to apply one tube and we have two dogs. Both have thick hair (Springer Spaniel and Brittany). I've watched application videos, and read instructions on other websites and all of them apply the med quite rapidly. A tech at our vet's office said that the sales rep applied a tube in one long line along the spine from neck to tail; no dabbing, no waiting, no shaving. Sometimes, for lack of time, patience or a calm dog, I apply it much more quickly and a lot wicks into the hair. When I do this, it appears to be less effective on ticks that month (fortunately, we've never had a flea issue). Does anyone have a better application technique that doesn't take 20 minutes and doesn't wick into the hair or shouldn't I be concerned? Thank you.

Is there a better way to apply topical flea/tick medication? General Dog Discussions
    • It really doesn't have to be that perfect. You should try to get it on the skin, but if it gets on the coat it's not the end of the world. They say that to prevent people from just applying to the coat, since the point is for it to be on the skin. Just kinda pull the coat up in the opposite direction for a moment.