Do I need to find a particular type of trainer to fix my dogs fear aggression?

She hasn't started obedience training. Today at the vet was... a nightmare. The vet said shes fear aggressive and we need to have someone work with her or else she'll just end up with a court order to be put down. Shes my sisters dog and she is going…

She hasn't started obedience training. Today at the vet was... a nightmare. The vet said shes fear aggressive and we need to have someone work with her or else she'll just end up with a court order to be put down. Shes my sisters dog and she is going…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Do I need to find a particular type of trainer to fix my dogs fear aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do I need to find a particular type of trainer to fix my dogs fear aggression?

Do I need to find a particular type of trainer to fix my dogs fear aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      She hasn't started obedience training. Today at the vet was... a nightmare. The vet said shes fear aggressive and we need to have someone work with her or else she'll just end up with a court order to be put down. Shes my sisters dog and she is going to call someone next week who will come to the home and do training. i don't know what kind of trainer she is. will any trainer know how to handle a fear aggressive dog? its a 6 month old cane corso.

Do I need to find a particular type of trainer to fix my dogs fear aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Wow, that was ballsy for a vet to say, but I understand with a cane corso. People out there are jerks and one wrong move that dog make will be bad for you. Have a animal behavorist and aggresion expert, you can google on in your area. They are around, you will find one no problem.Good luck with your beautiful dog!

• Not a trainer, a behaviorist. There is a difference. Sit/stay treat training won't do squat for behavior problems - if she has severe fear problems she won't even NOTICE the handler or treat (unless it's to nip.) You need someone well versed in a variety of behavior problems and deals with a variety of methods to work with them. Ask your vet for referrals. Or use google. Trainers teach a dog to respond to commands, usually via treats. Behaviorists deal with behavior and behavior modification using a variety of methods that don't deal with "commands", as such - they tend to do more body language reading and such.

• The below answers are not the best advice. You can work with a competent positive reinforcement trainer. Yes, it's true that trainers use treats to get dogs to perform certain commands (operant conditioning) but a well educated trainer will also know how to change a dog's emotional reaction to a certain stimulus (classical conditioning). Because your dog is showing signs of fear and insecurity it is crucial that you take the positive reinforcement route. If your trainer uses adversives or punishments in their training methods not only is that inhumane but will also result in an increase in fearful behavior in your dog. Positive reinforcement training is the best route to build confidence in an uncomfortable dog.

• There are many different types of trainers out there...not each type of training is right for every dog. First, many dogs have problems at the vet...and where they might posture and even bite from the anxiety, they might not have a problem elsewhere. However, you do NOT want your Cane to think that it is ever OK to aggress! So yes, you need to get a trainer. I am surprised that your sister didn't line one up even as she paid for the dog!!! I found my trainer through word of mouth...I asked around our local dog park...one dog in particular was very well behaved with a great demeanor, and her owner gave me the name of the trainer. I interviewed him, even went to observe him in action at some classes he runs. His facility offers all types of training, though they prefer e collar. I learned this facility has some impressive credentials and trains service dogs, police dogs, search and rescue....and the class I observed...what a hoot....30 dogs doing field work...there were pits and chihuahuas and mastiffs and aussies, malinois, and yes...one Cane Corso. You need to look into the different kinds of training so you can make an informed decision on what is best for your dog's breed and personality. Their puppy classes start at 4 months...but I would go private if I were you. I do know of one trainer in my area who "ruined" a dog....the wrong person teaching the wrong method actually made the dog more reactive...so finding a really good trainer is so important. The psychology is important as well, this dog should never be allowed to have the upper hand, but take your time and do some more research so you can find a good trainer. While you are looking, if you already haven't started , do your own basic obedience at home...sit stay, come, down, leave it. Your vet has already labeled your dog....while you should have your eyes open, understand she is young and you should have good results with constant and consistent training. BTW I chose e collar for my dog...best thing I ever did, he is a happy, very well behaved dog.....as long as he is not having his nails clipped. Good Luck.