How to change a dog with food aggression?

We have had our dog for over a year now(since she was 2-3 months old) and now she is very food aggressive. Growls when touched or walked around. im not sure why she is being aggressive, she grew up around another dog and we never separated when they ate.…

We have had our dog for over a year now(since she was 2-3 months old) and now she is very food aggressive. Growls when touched or walked around. im not sure why she is being aggressive, she grew up around another dog and we never separated when they ate.…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to change a dog with food aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to change a dog with food aggression?

How to change a dog with food aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      We have had our dog for over a year now(since she was 2-3 months old) and now she is very food aggressive. Growls when touched or walked around. im not sure why she is being aggressive, she grew up around another dog and we never separated when they ate. I will not give up my dog and if you going to be rude then don't answer. I wanted to hear from someone who has had a problem with this and have some tips on how to fix it. thanks.

How to change a dog with food aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • We had a dog food aggressive and what we did with him was hand feed him, another thing we did was make him lay down away from the bowl while we put food in it. We'd then mess with the food and he wasn't allowed to eat unless he was totally calm. I hope this helps a little.

• Give her a little food on her bowl and the rest scattered on the floor. Be nearby but not close so she knows you're there. Don't approach til she walks away. Once she's happy with this, approach and add a little food on the floor. The next step is to add food to the bowl. She will learn to associate your spproaching her, with more food. Be prepared to take weeks over this. It is not an overnight fix. Use only her set amount of food, don't give her more. In between meals practice getting her to take treats from your hand ONLY IF she will already do this as it will stress her more to be expected to do this if its new.

• Sometimes people unwittingly attack this problem in a way that makes it worse instead of making it better. The normal logic is "If my dog growls when I touch him or walk near him while he's eating, the more often I do that, the more the situation will improve." Often times the dog is thinking "I already told him I don't want him coming near me or touching my food at meal time but he keeps doing it. Obviously I can't trust him when there's food in front of me and I need to be on guard at all times."First, I would stop giving the dog opportunities to practice the behavior. Put his food in a crate or a separate room. Call him into the room to eat it. When he's done, call him out of the room and away from the food bowl before you retrieve it.To build trust you can do exercise like feeding him a bit at a time from your hand or pouring a little food in the bowl at a time when he is sitting calmly. But for the time being if the dog gets agitated when you go near him or the bowl while he is eating, I simply would stop doing that except for when you are doing these exercises.

• You can try by feeding the dog a little of its food at first. Be nearby to watch her. After she's done with the little kibble you give her, lean down and put a little more of the food while touching the bowl. Do that repeatedly until you have finished with the food that you're going to give her. The dog begins to see you as the provider of the food, not the one who will take the food away.

• She thinks she's the boss. Be more assertive with her. And make her sit calmly before you feed her.The other answers about hand feeding her should help, too, but asserting your dominance is the most important thing (so she doesn't develop other issues also).