What is a family friendly hypoallergenic dog that is low maintnence good with other dogs and strangers?

Family is looking for new dog it needs to meet our needs in the q. It also needs to be hypoallergenic abd good with kids of all ages

What is a family friendly hypoallergenic dog that is low maintnence good with other dogs and strangers?

Family is looking for new dog it needs to meet our needs in the q. It also needs to be hypoallergenic abd good with kids of all ages...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is a family friendly hypoallergenic dog that is low maintnence good with other dogs and strangers?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a family friendly hypoallergenic dog that is low maintnence good with other dogs and strangers?

What is a family friendly hypoallergenic dog that is low maintnence good with other dogs and strangers? Dogs Training Discussions
      Family is looking for new dog it needs to meet our needs in the q. It also needs to be hypoallergenic abd good with kids of all ages

What is a family friendly hypoallergenic dog that is low maintnence good with other dogs and strangers? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Good with other dogs is usually down to training (although some breeds are more prone to dog aggression), as is being good with strangers and kids.While many dogs are low shedding, none are truly hypoallergenic. It totally depends upon what you are allergic to.Poodles are pretty smart, very low shedding, easy to train, and are generally good with people and other pets if trained properly.

• I know the curly hair deters most people, but poodles coats are surprisingly easy to care for! Poodles are incredibly intelligent and make great dogs. I seriously suggest checking them out. Most allergy sufferers tend not to react to poodles as much as other people.The friendliness of the dog towards other dogs and strangers will rely on how well you socialize it.Good on you for doing your research!The one problem I see here is that most "hypoallergenic" dogs (that is dogs with the coat texture of HAIR and not fur) are not low maintinance, and will either need regular bathing/brushing from you and/or trips to the groomer. I have shih tzu and yorkies... people who suffer with allergies don't have problems with my dogs. But, I also keep my dogs very clean, which is another factor.Best bet for a dog in a home where one or more people might be allergic, is to keep the dog out of that person's bedroom, off the furniture, and to vacuum/dust/mop frequently and keep the dog well bathed and groomed.

• There is no such thing as a Hypo-allergenic dog ALL dogs have hair/fur, dander and saliva. Those are the 3 major allergy causing agents in any dog. I would say take a trip to local shelter and let the kids pick a dog from there.

• None of the "hypoallergenic" dogs are low maintenance. They ALL need frequent brushing and regular trips to the groomer. Unless you get a hairless dog, but they need skin care instead. Still not low maintenance. And they are not guaranteed hypoallergenic, they're just less allergenic than regular dogs.

• While there is no such thing as hypoallergenic dogs there are breeds that are less likely to cause allergic reactions. The Hypo thing is a myth. These dogs are less likely to cause allergies because they have hair and not fur. This is also why most of these types of dogs are not low maintenance and require regular grooming. The Bichon tends to be very family/kid friendly, have a poodle like coat that sheds only minimal but needs regular grooming (brushing and cuts)

• Yorkie's are great family dogs! They love to be snuggled all day long. They are also hypoallergenic. My aunt has 2 yorkies that live with 2 labs and they all get along great!

• dander is the allergen in dogs.dander comes from skin and saliva.a dog without skin or saliva would be dead.some dogs, like those with tightly curled coats tend to release less dander into the home (think poodles) so some folks have less reaction to them because there isn't dander flying around in as high a concentration, and it can be brushed and washed off them when away from the home- but ALL dogs have dander to some degree, and even within a breed you'll find some people are more reactive to some dogs.when my grandparents retired, they got a miniature poodle, because they heard it was easier on the allergies (my grandpa is mildly allergic, my father is very allergic but did not live with them)neither my father nor my grandpa had any reaction to the dog besides occassional runny nose or itchy eyes. my grandmother brushed and bathed the dog religiously.when that dog passed on, they got another- same breeder, same bloodlines, also a female. the dog irritated my father's allergies so severely that he could not visit them. my grandpa had more runny noses, but nothing serious.being good with kids has nothing to do with breed- genetic temperament and socialization will determine that.sounds like if you really need a hypoallergenic pet, you should look to something without fur- my father and i kept birds and he was never allergic to them, and we were also very fond of our various reptiles.

• I would suggest a Labrador? but you should also consider its daily exercise requirement, grooming maintenance and personal bonding time it needs from you to keep it happy and healthy.I recommend that you watch my 4 minute dog choosing video at http://tiny.ly/BEqI which will help you decide on which dog breed best suits your lifestyle and preference.Make sure that you also personally provide training for your dog to build trust and confidence to your dog and also equip you with better understanding your dog and its needs. – Hope my advice helps!