How would you approach handler directed aggression?

What sort of correction should be given to a dog that displays handler aggression?No correction? Verbal? Tap on the thigh? Hang 'em high?I know what I would do if my dog tried to bite/growl/lunge at me. Of course he never would because he knows what I…

What sort of correction should be given to a dog that displays handler aggression?No correction? Verbal? Tap on the thigh? Hang 'em high?I know what I would do if my dog tried to bite/growl/lunge at me. Of course he never would because he knows what I…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How would you approach handler directed aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How would you approach handler directed aggression?

How would you approach handler directed aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      What sort of correction should be given to a dog that displays handler aggression?No correction? Verbal? Tap on the thigh? Hang 'em high?I know what I would do if my dog tried to bite/growl/lunge at me. Of course he never would because he knows what I would do too. Last question of the night. Anyway, what would you do? How much would you tolerate and how would you fix it?

How would you approach handler directed aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • That depends upon many factors and there is no time to go through them all here, but, I have hang a dog before, until it passed out, because the circumstances warranted that at the time.I have also owned dogs that I got after they put several previous handlers in the hospital, one with a permanent injury.With some of these dogs, you can only deal with the problem through PRECISE training that is mutually beneficial.I have had to get rid of a dog because of its personality and mine...both very Alpha type, both not yielding and one of us would have to die. The dog was too good to waste and was sold as a stud.Lastly, I have found out that if you own a dog from a 6 week old puppy, it makes a HUGE difference, most of the time, in the problems you will have later as far as handler aggression.Also, this problem can be created through shitty training, but, that is too long a subject to be discussed in this forum.

• Well I have never ever in 25 yrs of rotties had one of my own bite / growl / lunge at me... If one of them did then I would put it down to my fault in the first place for not getting enough respect from the dog. I would however go apepoop at one if it did and it would sure know I wasn't happy. I do have fosters who've tried it in the early days and I will judge their reasons / temperament before jumping in too hard. My foster here at the moment has been put with me because the kennel staff are all afraid of him. My own boy has allowed him straight into my home and apart from getting excited and still mouthing like a pup, I have had no problems, although if he got something he shouldn't (high value) then I wouldn't trust him to walk straight up and take it off of him... I would have to find something equally tasty to trade with at the moment... but then I've only had him here since Monday. A work in progress... and one that would see the blue juice if Greek had him...

• Years ago when I was not half as experienced with dogs as i am now I had a gsd who would growl at me every time I gave him a command and stare me down whilst snarling at me. He was big, black and scared the shyte out of me. I`d had him from 6 weeks old and he was about 4 years old when he started this issue.I took him, when he was rising 5 years to the RSPCA rescue kennels. One of the officers there adopted him as far I know.Nowadays it would be a different story and it would take a really nasty aggressive dominant dog to get one over on me. Any dog of mine that "dared" to even show its teeth at me in defiance would think twice about doing it again. If it was on the lead i would as you put it "hang it high" plus some verbal with a swift and Dominant attitude because that`s how I am. Ok I "might" get bitten but I doubt it. Any dog I own is taught to respect me from a puppy and I am pretty confident that my attitude and Authoritative leadership would deter most dogs from "trying it on" with me. If I was handling a dog that I did not own and it displayed aggression towards me it would depend on the size of the dog as to what i would do. I`d certainly hang high a small dog with no problem but not sure I`d take on an adult large breed if I knew it was prone to defiance and aggression. That`s a job for the real experts in this field. Jmo.ps> I had a friend who had a very dominant Lurcher female (from a puppy) who constantly growled at her and defied her commands. He hands were full of scars where the dog had bitten her. She used to ignore the dogs displays of aggression for some reason and laugh about it!!! I came to the conclusion she was frightened to reprimand this dog in case it retaliated even worse and attacked her full on. I wonder how many dogs get away with this behaviour because the owners are scared of what their dog might do if corrected.