Any breeds of dogs that are known to be good with other dogs?

I know there are a few breeds of dogs that are known to be other dog aggressive so I am wondering if there are any known breeds that are good with other dogs? I know that most of it has to do with socializing & training, but some breeds are just known…

I know there are a few breeds of dogs that are known to be other dog aggressive so I am wondering if there are any known breeds that are good with other dogs? I know that most of it has to do with socializing & training, but some breeds are just known…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Any breeds of dogs that are known to be good with other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any breeds of dogs that are known to be good with other dogs?

Any breeds of dogs that are known to be good with other dogs? Dogs Training Discussions
      I know there are a few breeds of dogs that are known to be other dog aggressive so I am wondering if there are any known breeds that are good with other dogs? I know that most of it has to do with socializing & training, but some breeds are just known for certain things. Thanks.

Any breeds of dogs that are known to be good with other dogs? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Its usually individual and not breed related. You are right there are dogs that are more aggressive than others. Mostly that is individual though. It also depends on what kind of dog you already have. Are you looking for a large dog or small. Boxers, Goldens, labs all tend to do well with other dogs. it also depends on whether a dog is fixed on not.

• Well I chose my dog, an english pointer, because the dog book said they get along well with other animals. So yes I think there are dogs that are known to be good with other dogs.

• Yes, most bird dogs, e.g. Goldens, flat-coat, english setters, munsterlanders, labs, etc were bred to work with other dogs on a bird hunt. Dog aggression is a no-no, because it detracts from the hunt. Therefore most of these dogs have no dog aggression and are super-playful with other dogs, BUT as you say proper socialization and training are very important. If these breeds are properly socialized and trained they will be friendly with pretty much every dog and every person unless they sense aggression in the other dog or person - and even then all they'll do is bark and/or try and remove themselves and you from the situation. They are lovers not fighters.BTW, people often mistake small dogs for being less aggressive. WRONG. JRTs and Chihuahuas can both be very dog aggressive and MUST be socialized and well-trained when young. Yet bigger breeds like St Bernards and Bernese should never be dog aggressive if well-trained and socialized. Bottomline, socialization and training are key - any dog can be aggressive - but there are some breeds with a strong proclivity to be dog aggressive - malumates, JRTs, are a couple examples, and some with a proclivity to be super-friendly and playful - the breeds I mentioned for example.BTW, the person who said it's all about the individual dog and not the breed knows nothing about dogs. Most breeds were carefully constructed for certain characteristics. E.g. certain herding dogs were meant to keep everything away from the herd - person or animal. Therefore dog (or other animal) aggression was desired. JRTs were meant to bay foxes and similar animals - therefore a certain animal aggression, dominance and fearlessness were desired - and that can make them dog aggressive. These characteristics run deep and can be difficult to counteract even with socialization and training.

• In my opinion, any breed of dog can be good with other dogs. It all depends on the owner and how they are trained as a pup. But I would have to say Siberian Huskies would be one. They like living in groups/packs.

• Well, I would guess any dog that was bred to do a job that involves being close to other dogs. Like hunting breeds, things like that. I would also say Huskies and other sledding breeds, but I do believe I've heard husky's are quite the opposite. Well, at least that huskies are not good with smaller animals, perhaps they are fine with larger dogs.