DS: How long does it usually take you?

My dog has had a lot of behavioral problems in the past, like severe possession and dog aggression. The possession aggression took a couple years to curb, but the dog aggression took most of his life. I thought I would NEVER have him to the point where…

My dog has had a lot of behavioral problems in the past, like severe possession and dog aggression. The possession aggression took a couple years to curb, but the dog aggression took most of his life. I thought I would NEVER have him to the point where…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : DS: How long does it usually take you?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DS: How long does it usually take you?

DS: How long does it usually take you? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog has had a lot of behavioral problems in the past, like severe possession and dog aggression. The possession aggression took a couple years to curb, but the dog aggression took most of his life. I thought I would NEVER have him to the point where he was comfortable around dogs and accept them. So how long does it usually take you to realize that a certain bad behavior is a result of its environment (little to no socialization as a pup), rather than genetic?

DS: How long does it usually take you? Dogs Training Discussions
    • That is a hard question to answer, unless you have had the dog since 6 weeks of age and know everything about its back round. Then and only then can you start eliminating behavioral issues that you see and don't like in terms of where they stem from, genetics or environment.You also need to be realistic about things that you should know are the results of genetics..pit bull type dogs are SUPPOSED to be animal aggressive and regardless of what you do, that will never be taken out of the dog's system.If YOU instilled a behavior in question that you know don't like, well, that is a case of "blindness" on your part. An example of this is what most amateurs rave in here about, "ignore the bad behavior and reward only the good". That of course is nothing but BS because ignoring is ALSO training that something IS indeed allowed.In short, unless you have some real experience with dogs and their behavior, having trained a few thousand, and then your dog in particular as discussed above, its not really possible to "know" for sure and address it properly. Hope I helped.