will the vet clean your dogs teeth??? because my dog has bad breath and I have tried everything! Help?

I've tried everything to get my dachshunds breath to smell good but nothing works. Does the vet clean dogs teeth and if so will it help any?she is 1 and a 1/2 years oldif its not her teeth that is causing the bad odor then what is???

will the vet clean your dogs teeth??? because my dog has bad breath and I have tried everything! Help?

I've tried everything to get my dachshunds breath to smell good but nothing works. Does the vet clean dogs teeth and if so will it help any?she is 1 and a 1/2 years oldif its not her teeth that is causing the bad odor then what is???...
    General Dog Discussions : will the vet clean your dogs teeth??? because my dog has bad breath and I have tried everything! Help?...

• will the vet clean your dogs teeth??? because my dog has bad breath and I have tried everything! Help?

will the vet clean your dogs teeth??? because my dog has bad breath and I have tried everything! Help? General Dog Discussions
      I've tried everything to get my dachshunds breath to smell good but nothing works. Does the vet clean dogs teeth and if so will it help any?she is 1 and a 1/2 years oldif its not her teeth that is causing the bad odor then what is???

will the vet clean your dogs teeth??? because my dog has bad breath and I have tried everything! Help? General Dog Discussions
    • yes, you can get your vet to clean your dogs teeth...you can also get a pet dentist to do it. Or, you can buy dog tooth cleaning supplies (like a toothbrush and dog toothpaste). Try changing his/her food as well.

• Yes, teeth cleaning is part of a veterinary practice...no doubt your dog has plaque built up and that's what you are smelling. Either that or periodontal disease.Your dogs teeth need cleaning and it's not something that you can do at home...it's just like going to your dentist for a yearly checkup and they clean your teeth as part of the process. They have special instruments they use to scrape that plaque off.Do not allow your vet to do this without the use of anesthesia.The only other thing that may cause bad breath is an upset stomach.

• yes they do, and yes it will help immensly if the teeth are dirty, or especially if the dog has gingivitis. You didn't mention how old your dog is, but usually dachshunds need their teeth cleaned by about 5 years old or sooner. Call around to different vets in your area and ask them for estimates for dentals. They should be able to give you a ballpark figure. Also, check to see if that price includes anesthesia because some places try to do it without knocking the dog out and that is very stressful and painful for them.

• Yes, vets do this. Where I live the cost is $129.00. They clean the teeth just as your own dentist cleans yours, including removal of tartar, brushing, etc.. This should be done once or twice yearly, depending on the condition of your dogs' teeth. If any need to be pulled they will do it at this time and administer antibiotics, pain med, whatever is needed (at additional cost). They will want to see your dog beforehand and can answer your questions at this time. Small dogs, such as yours (and mine, a tiny toy poodle) have more of a problem with teeth than do larger breeds. Also, as a preventative to future problems, some dentists prescribe an antibiotic for the first five days every month. This is for gingivitis, the biggest problem to "bad teeth" that dogs and cats have. Yes, it's expensive, but so is treating infections or putting the animal down because it got out of hand. Good luck!

• The one thing that will clean a dogs teeth is a raw bone. Natures Variety and Primal are two very good choices. My Lab is 9 years old and never needed a teeht cleaning, she just got checked by the vet and she was really impressed by how beautiful and clean her teeth are.

• Typically vets will clean your dogs teeth, but I am not sure how costly it is. You can but dog toothpaste and toothbrushes at PetSmart and it works wonders. I brush my dogs' teeth 3-4 times a week and they have no signs of dog breath. They actually enjoy it. When I get out the toothpaste and brush they are in the chair waiting before I can even sit down.Good LuckStephaniehttp://www.purebredpups.orghttp://www.designermixes.org