How do I clean my dogs teeth? Do I use normal toothpaste and a toothbrush?

BUT IF I USE normal TOOTHPASTE wouldn't the dog get an upset stomach or would this lead to health problems later on??Website links also appreciatedTeeth-CleaningAfter many years of eating food, your dog may need his teeth cleaned. Sometimes this involves…

How do I clean my dogs teeth? Do I use normal toothpaste and a toothbrush?

BUT IF I USE normal TOOTHPASTE wouldn't the dog get an upset stomach or would this lead to health problems later on??Website links also appreciatedTeeth-CleaningAfter many years of eating food, your dog may need his teeth cleaned. Sometimes this involves…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I clean my dogs teeth? Do I use normal toothpaste and a toothbrush?...

• repost:I am a tooth-brusher. You can get canine toothpaste at any petstore.Some other options:Dentahex - rawhide coated with enzymes to help break down tartar - from vet. I love them, my dogs love them, but they come with the same risks as any rawhide in terms of obstructions with dogs that eat rawhides in one big piece.C.E.T Aquadent - (from the same makers our your liver-flavored toothpaste) add to water to prevent plaque. Haven't tried it, but I've heard good things.Hill's T/D or Purina DH - dental diet. I use them as treats - gigantic kibbles to help clean your pet's teeth while they eat.Could not be easier. (They also can take white-out off of just about any surface)Oravet - starts during your dog's dental, then you keep up once a week. It is a gel that you apply to the gumline to repel plaque. I HAVE used this, and saw results, but it was SUCH A PAIN.Greenies - specially designed chewies to help clean your dog's teeth while they enjoy a little treat.Tartar is most common on the outside of the dog's teeth - if you can keep those clean with your canine teeth-cleaning system, you're doing alright. You can use a human extra soft brush, an ergonomically-designed doggy brush, or (my personal favorite) a finger brush.

• I really do have a lot of experience with dogs and it really doesn't need a special kind of tooth brush but probably a small would do fine. But if you want to brush its teeth because of bad breath then use a doggy breath mints. They sell it at petco if you want it. Oh! yah back to the tooth brush. You should use a special kind of toothpaste. Ask a local petstore and theyb will find one for your dog.

• Go to the pet shop or your Vet for dog toothpaste and brushes or a little thing you put on your finger with the paste, works better than the brush, Don't ever use normal toothpase on your pet.

• Good question!!! It is very beneficial to brush your dog's teeth as often as you can (I brush my dogs teeth every night before bed). It DOES make a difference!!! Trust me! I do anywhere from 2-3 dentals a day at work :) You can always tell who brushes! A lot less tartar build-up and the gums are in much better shape.It does not matter which type of toothpaste you choose, just remember.. no human toothpaste!!! Petco, petsmart, etc. all sell doggie toothpaste (chicken and peanut butter are favorites in my house!) along with tooth brushes appropriate for your dogs mouth (because of the size of your dog... try to find an arched brush.. easier to reach in the back!). I did answer a question on how to start brushing and how to get your dog used to it... I will try to find it for you and paste it here for additional help: (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;... Let me know if the link does not work! Even with routine brushing, it isn't a bad idea to have a dental done once yearly (or whatever you can afford! Our clinic charges anywhere from $120-180 depending on weight, your Lab would be closer to $180) once your baby turns 3 or 4. Also, if you have trouble brushing every night, I also highly recommend Natural Bones! :) Stay away from raw hides, and "sticky" bones/treats, and wet dog food. All those are junk and will cause access tartar and plaque!Give your dog a smooch from me!!!

• You should never give a dog real toothpaste. At the vet, they have special finger toothbrushes you can use. They also have dog toothpaste, with flavors like chicken, and beef.

• You shouldn't use real toothpaste. you buy special dog toothpaste and you can use a regular toothbrush, but they do make special dog toothbrushes that you put on your finger so that you can get in the dogs mouth better and those are better on the dogs gums because theyre like little rubber bristles.heres a picture of a toothbrush glovehttp://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3076393

• Do not use human toothpaste. They make special toothpaste for dogs you can buy at most department stores or pet stores. Your vet also has this. Most of these come with toothbrushes. If they don't then you can use a soft bristled kids size toothbrush (or soft adult, depending on dog size). Feed dry dog food to help prevent tartar build up and encourage chewing on toys or bones (they make dental bones, greenies) of the appropriate size and always under supervision- esp. with bones. these can have small chinks swallowed resulting in a blockage in the intestine with requires surgery to fix.The vet I work for also recommends an oral rinse that can be used to rinse the teeth if you can't brush them. We also have a water additive that helps control tartar and bacteria build up.(see links)

• I'd just like to point out (coz it doesn't seem anyone else has) that the toxic ingredient in human toothpaste is fluoride, which in large amounts is also toxic to people. This is why you're supposed to spit it out. Dogs obviously don't spit it out... so it poisons them, and in time builds up and can cause complete kidney/liver/renal failure. That said... you can technically use human toothpaste without fluoride (Tom's of Maine makes it, and I'm sure others do). But there's also dog toothpaste. As far as toothbrushes go... depends on how big your dog is. For smaller dogs, they make small brushes. For larger dogs, they make large brushes. Usually the bristles are softer than human brushes (to better contour to the shape of their teeth - as they have large caps and rounded teeth, unlike ours which are flat without as many twists and turns, and thus a harder bristle is preferable). But you can really use either. But with a human brush you'll need to pay a little more attention to where you're brushing. Also, you don't need to clean the back of their teeth, as their tongue cleans that part quite well.

• Do not use toothpaste for people on your pet! Go out and buy toothpaste for dogs, it's not that much and most of the time comes with a special toothbrush, if not you can probably use a toothbrush for humans on your pet I don't think it makes much of a differance