how do you get rid of dog aggression?

we just got a nine month old puppy recently who is aggressive around dogs that are bigger than her. She was fine with dogs when we got her and even played with a friend's dog fine, but has since started growling at other dogs and then recently began…

we just got a nine month old puppy recently who is aggressive around dogs that are bigger than her. She was fine with dogs when we got her and even played with a friend's dog fine, but has since started growling at other dogs and then recently began…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : how do you get rid of dog aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do you get rid of dog aggression?

how do you get rid of dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      we just got a nine month old puppy recently who is aggressive around dogs that are bigger than her. She was fine with dogs when we got her and even played with a friend's dog fine, but has since started growling at other dogs and then recently began barking and lunging at them. We have her in puppy training classes and she has been fine so far but none of the other dogs are bigger than her. Any suggestions?this has happened twice. Once was at a dog park and she wasn't leashed. The other time was on a walk, when she was leashed.we also have her at Petsmart for the puppy training class. we are two weeks in. She does fine there, but no dogs are bigger than her.

how do you get rid of dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Is this on leash or off? Leashes change everything where dogs are concerned. I suggest a wonderful book: Feisty Fido, by Dr. Patricia McConnell. It is easy to read and follow the directions. Dr. McConnell is a brilliant behaviorist and a world known expert on the behavior of dogs.http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/books-retail.php

• Find someone with a large, non aggressive dog to help you. Take them outside, and walk them past each other in opposite directions, but far enough away that they cannot touch each other. Keep your dog on a tight leash at your side and slightly behind you, which is the proper way to walk her at all times anyway. If she barks or lunges, quickly tug the leash sideways- NOT straight up to choke her- and then release the tension. You can give her a command or make a noise at her at the same time if you'd like. If she relaxes after that and walks away, praise her and give her a treat. Repeat this exercise until she no longer barks or lunges at the dog. And follow the same routine when you go anywhere with other dogs that she starts trying to go after. Don't try to hold her back by the leash with constant tension, that just encourages her to strain harder against you. You have to tug and release to distract her attention from the other dog. Also, consider enrolling her in a supervised day care- often dogs socialize better when mom and dad aren't around to watch.

• keep up what you have started bringing her to puppy class was a great idea. If the training faculity has ongoing training enter her in beguiner obediance. If you still have afew weeks of trainig left talk to the instructor they will most llikly have a few ideas on how to deal with this.

• i would recommend taking her to your nearest Petsmart and signing her up for a training class. They allow a safe enviroment for dogs to socialize and improve their behavior. i work at petsmart and i have taking the training classes.there is a 100% flip in the personality and behavior in my dog.. in a good way that is. they run for 99 dollars for 8 weeks. and most of the classes are really flexible. so yeah just talk to a trainer, they can give you more info.. best of luck.

• Hi ,Well i found this really helpful guide ,its a really professional training called sit stay fetch , to teach you how to train your dog by yourself , http://dogobediencetraining.co.nr , its a easy step by step bookHope this helps you with your dog