Do you feed you dog dry or canned food?

My 24 lb 9 month old puggle is eatting her canned food really well. She just picks through dry food and does not seem to like it so we started canned. She eats well and vomits no more, but i hear canned is not great for dogs teeth and the nutrtional…

My 24 lb 9 month old puggle is eatting her canned food really well. She just picks through dry food and does not seem to like it so we started canned. She eats well and vomits no more, but i hear canned is not great for dogs teeth and the nutrtional…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do you feed you dog dry or canned food?...

• Do you feed you dog dry or canned food?

Do you feed you dog dry or canned food? General Dog Discussions
      My 24 lb 9 month old puggle is eatting her canned food really well. She just picks through dry food and does not seem to like it so we started canned. She eats well and vomits no more, but i hear canned is not great for dogs teeth and the nutrtional value is less. What do you think?I forgot to say I do mix them, she spits out the dry and contiues with the wet.

Do you feed you dog dry or canned food? General Dog Discussions
    • My German Shepherd is super picky we will go through at least 10 DIFFERENT kinds of foods a year I now have come to find out if I stick with ANY dry food and get wet foot and give her just a couple of spoon fulls of wet foot mixed with her dry food and hot water she LOVES it, it's not all that bad for them then! I hope this helps!

• "i hear canned is not great for dogs teeth and the nutrtional value is less."That depends completely on the quality/brand of food you are feeding. The most nutritious dog foods on the market are actually the canned versions of premium dog foods, but they are very expensive. Getting into the lower quality foods however, canned is ALWAYS worse than dry.If you are feeding a canned food by Innova EVO, Wysong, Evangers, or Merrick, it may very well be BETTER than any dry food you can get. However if you are feeding canned food of any of the following brands -- Pedigree, Alpo, Cesar, Mighty Dog, Purina, Eukanuba, Hill's, etc. -- then I'd suggest switching to an all-dry diet, pronto.

• my 80 pound pit did the same thing until i only put dry kibble down for him and gave him 15 mins,when he wouldnt eat it i took it up,same thing the next day 15 minutes and up,it took about 3 days but he started eating it and has been on only dry for 2 years now,i know it sounds mean but when they get hungry enough theyll eat.

• Dry is not better for teeth nor is wet bad for teeth. A good quality canned food is actually very healthy for a dog. it contains more meat, less carbs & fat they dry. it is also more natural.Don't feed canned foods such as Purina, Pedigree, Alpo and the like..they aren't good quality and have added water & by products. A good quality food doesn't add water all moisture comes from the meat itself. it also doesn't contain by products or glutens.***dental issues are caused by genetics or poor nutrition not by canned food. A dog taht is prone to dental disease or is being fed a poor diet will have dental disease no matter what it is fed************a good quality canned food has less fat then dry food..in order of best diet...Raw, Home cooked, quality canned, quality dry*******

• We feed our grey hound on dry food because our vet told s it has more nutritional value. However our greyhound doesn't like dry so what por a little warm water over her food to moisten it up and she has no problem with it. You might wanna try it. if you do just remember to let the food cool down first.

• Wet food isn't always bad, because it's an easy way to limit what your puppy is eating, but make sure it is puppy wet food, because she will need the proper puppy nutrients until she is at least a year old. You are right though, canned food causes a lot of plaque, because there is nothing to scrape it off. Make sure she gets greenies and occasional dental work done to make sure her teeth and gums are healthy.

• I feed my dogs dry hollistic food. Its better for their teeth (poms are notorious for teeth decay). You can feed them wet food but I highly recommend that you brush their teeth as well. If you want her to switch into the dry food it will take some time. You can try mixing it again... this time using your hands - get the wet food juices into the dry food. Eventually she'll get used to the flavor and you can gradually increase the amount of dry food into her diet.