If a dog is DOG aggressive-Should it be euthanized?

I know there are a few breeds that are *genetically* dog aggressive. But there are also some dogs that are dog aggressive who aren't suppose to be genetically(By genetically I mean not common in the breed/part of the breed). Do you think those dogs…

I know there are a few breeds that are *genetically* dog aggressive. But there are also some dogs that are dog aggressive who aren't suppose to be genetically(By genetically I mean not common in the breed/part of the breed). Do you think those dogs…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : If a dog is DOG aggressive-Should it be euthanized?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If a dog is DOG aggressive-Should it be euthanized?

If a dog is DOG aggressive-Should it be euthanized? Dogs Training Discussions
      I know there are a few breeds that are *genetically* dog aggressive. But there are also some dogs that are dog aggressive who aren't suppose to be genetically(By genetically I mean not common in the breed/part of the breed). Do you think those dogs should be euthanized?{Note- I'm talking about DOG aggression, not human aggression}*My personal opinion*I don't think so. Whether it's due to genetic dog aggression, dog aggression triggered from an experience or something else-I don't think dog aggression should mean the dog should be euthanized immediately-especially if the dog is, otherwise, stable/has no issues. It can be worked with and sometimes just means the dog should go to a home where it will be the only dog with a person who knows how to handle a dog that has dog aggression. My old dog trainer had a lab that had dog aggression-She trained him when he was a puppy at her house and after returning the dog to it's original owner, the owner *due to personal problems* had to surrender the dog to the rescue the trainer worked with. The trainer ended up adopting the dog-he was good with other dogs but after a year of foster dogs coming in and and of out the house he did develop dog aggression(he actually attacked and wounded a few fosters she had). Because she had another dog and didn't want to stop fostering for the rescue she ended up putting him back up for adoption. The new adopters got free training sessions(dog was already trained-but so she could show them the commands). Anyway, he went to a house where he was the only dog and is doing great. They have kids and he's a stable dog and hasn't had any issues since being adopted/re-homed.

If a dog is DOG aggressive-Should it be euthanized? Dogs Training Discussions
    • No. I believe dogs with dog aggression should just go to homes without any dogs and problems won't arise (unless obviously if they go to a dog park or any other dog comes in to the house)

• No. They just need intelligent owners.As long as they realize and understand that dogs don't need to go out having all sorts of doggy friends, and responsibly care for their dogs, there shouldn't be an issue.In the case of an overcrowded shelter however....yes I believe they should be euthanized if it means making room for a more "stable" dog