How do I fix dog on dog aggression?

I have an almost 3 year old cairn terrier. When he was younger he played well with the other dogs at the park, and while on walks. It seems as he gets older, I can't even let him in the group pen at the dog park because he picks fights with other dogs.…

I have an almost 3 year old cairn terrier. When he was younger he played well with the other dogs at the park, and while on walks. It seems as he gets older, I can't even let him in the group pen at the dog park because he picks fights with other dogs.…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do I fix dog on dog aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I fix dog on dog aggression?

How do I fix dog on dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have an almost 3 year old cairn terrier. When he was younger he played well with the other dogs at the park, and while on walks. It seems as he gets older, I can't even let him in the group pen at the dog park because he picks fights with other dogs. Everything will seem normal and he'll be playing well then all of the sudden he'll freak out and start biting. How can I stop this and how can I train him to be allowed in the group pen again?

How do I fix dog on dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Are there any new additions to the "group?" Anything new in his life? Stressful?I would bring in a behaviorist - that's really the only way to pinpoint what the behavior is and how he developed it. I would also keep him OUT of the dog park for now - it's not very responsible of YOU as an owner to bring him if you know he's likely to bite.

• Carin terriers can be nippy and i can't say i even know why? Maybe you could talk with the breeder you got him from and ask if they know what to do in this case?I do know that on National Geographic's show, The Dog Whisperer, Caesar Milan has worked with dogs such as yours. Maybe there would be some information his website?

• It sounds like he is misinterpreting rough play with threatening behaviour. Did something happen to him - like a dog attack?The causes of aggression cannot be diagnosed through the Internet so the only good advice can be to see a behaviourist.

• Honestly, you should check out a trainer. It's hard to help dog aggression over the internet.You could start reading.AGGRESSION IN DOGS;PRACTICAL MANAGEMENT,PREVENTION & BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATIONby Brenda Aloff Getting a Grip on Aggression Cases: Practical Considerations for Dog Trainers by Nicole Wilde

• I would start by finding him a dog friend who will allow you to work with him one on one. He is fighting because he is dominant. You need to correct him whenever he shows dominant behavior, and that is easier if you do not have a whole group of dogs.Once he is good one on one, I would continue his training with gradually larger groups of dogs.

• Hi do you watch Caesar Milan the Dog Whisperer? He has some awesome ideas and works wonders with dogs that have problems. I would check the book stores and on line and see if he has a book out now on training dogs. Good Luck!

• If he is not neutered, start there. It could be fear (has he been frightened by another dog there), it could be that he is finally maturing and feeling powerful. Try taking him on-leash with a muzzle and see if you can retrain him that way. It allows you to get close to the other dogs and correct negative behavior without the dog being able to do any harm. Your other option is to consult a professional behaviorist.

• The dog is getting older and a lot of the times as they get older, they start feeling like they're supposed to be the dominant ones. And ... Cairns can be pretty darn tenacious and dog aggressive even if they're not that dominant.You have to decide if the dog park is something you really need to be doing (I think it's not, walks and training time would be just as affective) and if it is, you'll need to get with a behaviorist that can help you to desensitize the dog to other dogs. With a Cairn, to be frank, I would concentrate on other things instead of putting the money into making the dog ok in a dog park situation. Take an obedience class with the dog. Or get involved with earthdog trials and let him but all that to work doing what he was bred to do.

• hi,Dog-dog aggression is a very serious matter. Until your dog's successfully treated, keep him a safe distance from all other dogs ("safe distance" meaning the minimum amount of space he needs to remain calm and unstressed).here's a treatment:http://dogtime.com/aggression-toward-dogs.htmlhope this helps.