What's the best way to deal with dog aggression?

My dog can get very aggressive to my other two dogs, and I'm not sure on what to do with him. I've tried time out and rousing at him, and have tried showing him the correct behaviour but it doesn't seem to work. He's gets particulary bad when he gets…

My dog can get very aggressive to my other two dogs, and I'm not sure on what to do with him. I've tried time out and rousing at him, and have tried showing him the correct behaviour but it doesn't seem to work. He's gets particulary bad when he gets…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What's the best way to deal with dog aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's the best way to deal with dog aggression?

What's the best way to deal with dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog can get very aggressive to my other two dogs, and I'm not sure on what to do with him. I've tried time out and rousing at him, and have tried showing him the correct behaviour but it doesn't seem to work. He's gets particulary bad when he gets into trouble and the other dogs don't - he will attack one of them straight away. Sometimes he just attacks for no reason and he's been bad for that today. I've resorted to rotating the dogs inside and outside so they all get a chance to go to the toilet and have a run, and when he's near the other dogs I have to constantly walk him around on a lead so he can't attack. Any suggestions, and has anyone else ever dealt with this? He's not aggressive to me, just the other dogs. I also don't believe in hitting my dogs, so please no suggestions of that. Thank youThe aggressive one is a cattle dog (male), then I have a female kelpie, and male fox terrior. Only the fox terrior is desexed at the moment. I do plan on getting the cattle dog desexed in the next month. I had the money but then I had to move so I had to use it for bond instead. I understand desexing him will help a great deal, and will do it earlier if I can find the money, but what can I do for the next month until he is desexed? Will it even stop then?My dogs are my children, and putting him down is just not an option. Same with giving him away. I won't give up on him because of this, I will work with him to solve the problem. When I go out, the dogs are seperated so nothing can happen.

What's the best way to deal with dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • dogs are pack animals, so what u have to do is notice which dog is the "leader" like which dog attacks 1st or which dog is always in front of the other one while walking, and when u find out u have to treat him as such. like little things are what triggers fights, for example when u walk in, try petting the leader doggy 1st, and then the others.if u keep seperating them it will only get worse. even if they do fight its rare that they do real damage to each other cuz in the wild they need each member of the pact. and dont worry about making the others jelous, trust me, they will actaully be thanking u. and if they are neutered b4 the age of 2 it will help but after the age of 2 the behavior wont change. but try what i told u, i think it will help morehope it helps

• Well you not have many options. A friend of mine put a muzzle on his dog, that calmed the dog some. Just be real careful out in society with the dog, maybe you do not believe in hitting your dogs to teach them, but, society will kill the dog it bite someone.

• You need to permanently separate that dog from the others. I suggest putting him down rather than giving "her" away. Dogs have temperament like humans. Some just don't get along in human terms. Jealousy, sexual tension, temperament, lack of training/discipline, breed characteristics are some of the reasons why. The proper fix is to separate the animals and put down the aggressive one instead of giving someone else that problem. You need to be a responsible pet owner it's only a matter of time before you come home to a severely injured pet. My mother called me while I was in the Military to tell me that one of our dogs had torn the jaw off the other and left that dog alive in the driveway. Same situation you describe. Be responsible. "Desexing" is not going to help. I've never even hear of that. Spay or Neuter are the terms.

• My best suggestion is that you contact a professional trainer who is able to deal with aggression. It won't be cheap, but I don't know any other options. Perhaps someone else will. Good luck to you all.

• You should try using your own dominance to break his bad habit by immediately putting him on his back and holding him there until he submits by relaxing and not squirming to get away. I took a dog training course and a german shepherd kept acting aggressive to the other dogs and when the trainer tried to break him he stood up on his hind legs and challenged her. She tripped his legs out from under him and put her bent leg over his chest when his was down. After he quit struggling he was fine and his owner said his attitude changed after that point.They recommended doing this when dogs fight but taking care not to get bitten. If he attacks the other dogs grab his hind legs and flip him over and do the technique.I hope it helps because I wouldn't ever recommend someone get rid of their animal-there is a solution you just need to find one that works. By the way you won't hurt him it will just bruise his ego. Good Luck.

• You need to hire a trainer!! Has this behavior started recently or has he always been agressive? You should do something about it now before it gets worse....or before the behavior sets in and becomes a habit. It may only be a matter of time before he becomes aggressive towards you. You are suppossed to be the "alpha" dog, and he should listen to you.