What do you think of this dog aggression situation?

Just the other day, I was letting my dogs out of my car, I have three total and 2 were on the leash, the third wasn't quite on the leash yet as I hadn't found it, (the dogs hid it from me somewhere in the car). Well the loose one bounded out of the car…

Just the other day, I was letting my dogs out of my car, I have three total and 2 were on the leash, the third wasn't quite on the leash yet as I hadn't found it, (the dogs hid it from me somewhere in the car). Well the loose one bounded out of the car…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What do you think of this dog aggression situation?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you think of this dog aggression situation?

What do you think of this dog aggression situation? Dogs Training Discussions
      Just the other day, I was letting my dogs out of my car, I have three total and 2 were on the leash, the third wasn't quite on the leash yet as I hadn't found it, (the dogs hid it from me somewhere in the car). Well the loose one bounded out of the car to a passing herding dog (I'm not quite sure of the breed, looked like a border collie of sorts). Anyways, the loose one walked up to the collie dog (who was not on a leash either) and although my dog was puffing himself up (in a "I don't know you" stance) it didn't seem to me to be a violent stance to me, but the collie attacked him anyways. Well of course that set my other two dogs off and they went running towards the collie, snapping one of their collars off, and of course tangling me up in a mess of leashes and angry dogs. They surrounded the collie with hair raised. The guy with the collie proceeded to start kicking my dogs. What are your opinions on this matter? Were my dogs in the wrong?To the girl who answered first, I don't have x-ray vision, I can't see through metal and car. And I can handle them-- but when you have 3 dogs, all over 50 lbs pulling with force-- you'd get overwhelmed too. I believe that guy needs to have his dog on a leash as well. Maybe he needs to give me an apology letter too??Oh and this isn't an issue that's going to court, he's fine, I'm fine, I guess I'm just a little upset when people kick my dogs when he couldn't restrain his dogs from attacking mine :( I guess I'm a jaded owner.I called my boyfriend over, to grab the unleashed one, and snapped his leash on after we found it, I held those two, while my boyfriend went after the one who snapped her collar.They weren't attacked the collie, just circling it.I guess maybe it's hard for me to explain the situation exactly, because some of these answers people are giving (and citing examples) have nothing to do with what actually happened :(I do have to admit, I'm not the perfect dog owner, but man some of you guys have a way of making people feel like scum. Accidents happen, ya know? And there is one door to my car that works, and I was standing in the way... so it's not like I just ripped the door open to allow the dogs free reign!!I think he was wrong because he was walking his dog without a leash, my dog was unleashed because he bounded out of the car before a leash was applied (yes, lack of control, but he's 6 months old, for Christs sake)And YES I am working with them on waiting for a command, and normally they're always leashed before they step foot out of the car, it's this one time where the leash was not located right away that something went wrong.Also the guy was almost scared, he was apologizing to me after the fact (he ended up picking up his dog, and we had ours leashed). He almost seemed like I was going to sue him for kicking my dogs. ><

What do you think of this dog aggression situation? Dogs Training Discussions
    • ABSOLUTELY YOU WERE WRONG... not the dogs...... dogs remain on leash when in the car.. and you as an owner, when exiting the car should take a look at the surroundings... ALL 4 of my dogs are trained to WAIT in the car, doors open,,, until i get situated and then release them with an OK.... perhaps you should train your dogs the wait or stay command..... practice in your car in your driveway...... and most importantly SEND AN APOLOGY letter to the gentlemen..... and yes i would kick your dogs too if they all ganged up on my dog...... PLEASE TRAIN YOUR DOGS... and if you cannot handle all of them at once.. only take one at a time until you train them.... good luck and thank god they didn't run out into traffic causing an accident or getting themselves killed.

• You are both in the wrong for not having your dogs on a leash before leaving the house. He shouldn't have kicked your dogs, but some people just freak out when something like this happens. I would say just leave it at that unless you guys plan on going to court for this, where then the Judge will decide who was in the wrong. Good luck to you and I am sorry to hear about your dogs.

• well the owner of the collie probably thinks its your dogs fault because they werent properly restrained on leashesand you prob think its his dogs fault for starting the fightIt depends on how you look at the situation however according tto the law you would be held accountable because your dogs were not restrained on a leash

• Yes, because your dog approached the other dog puffed up and straight up in his face. That's an aggressive stance. When your other dogs jumped in, that escalated the situation, sorry, but your lucky that all that happened was that he kicked your dogs. In my area someone would have probably come out shooting.

• Yea and no. I mean the loose dog shouldn't have ran out and started a fight witht the border collie, but I mean he is a dog and they do things like that so you can't blame him. Although, the collie did start the fight. And the guy shouldn't have kicked your dogs, I'm sure there must have been another way to end the fight. But then again, if some other dogs decided to attack mine I wouldn't be so kind to the other owner. I dunno, this is a pretty sticky situation

• Well, in theory you're supposed to control your dogs, so yes.In life, that's what dogs do, but you are supposed to control them even though you're not going to have a 100% success rate. Someone may be a jerk and call you on it. Technically they're allowed. A fine might arise. Hopefully nothing more than that.

• No right or wrong! You were in the right place at the wrong time! The Collie owner probably panicked! You don't name your dog's breed so I think they were medium to large dog's. So I would have to give justification to the Collie owner for his actions, what were you doing to end the chaos?

• You were in the wrong. The law states the dogs need to be under your complete control and they weren't.Next time, when you leave all dogs should be leashed before getting out of the car (and preferably before you leave the house) and you need a way to control all three getting out of the car, even if it means training them to hold until you have control. It may also be that 3 dogs at once is too many for you to reasonably control at one time.He was also wrong to have his dog off-leash. Two wrongs don't make a right, especially in a dog fight.

• were you at home when this happened? now this is strictly my opinion... b/c my dog did the same thing to a person and he started kicking and punching my dog, in turn the humane society was called on my dog and he was taken and put to sleep. mind you my dog's tooth did snag the guy's hands as he was slugging my dog, BUT my dog never intended to hurt the guy the intruded our property. so anyway, personally i don't feel it was your (or your dogs') fault.. you didn't see the leash was off. and the rest of the pack was helping him defend himself and you against this strange dog--who attacked first!!! and why didn't the guy have his dog on a leash? if he was walking him, he should've had the leash on... so personally, he deserved to have his dog ganged up on. people just don't understand dogs now days!!!! and to kick your dogs!?! what a jerk!!!! they were defending each other and you!!!!good luck. i hope he doesn't do anything drastic, like that jerk did to me and my family!!!

• I believe that although the dogs seemed to "hide" the leash from you, you were also in the wrong by even opening the door before finding it. You should always protect your dogs, even if that means climbing across the seat to find the leash. What if there had been a car driving nearby or a child that could've gotten hurt by the fight? Although you were in the wrong by not properly securing your dogs, your dogs were simply doing what dogs do. They demand their territory, whether it is theirs or not. As for the collie, it should have also been properly leashed. Although the owner may think that the dog is friendly and more than willing to stand down from strangers and other potential threats, when in public a dog should ALWAYS be properly secured. As for him kicking your dogs, that was most likely anger, adrenaline, and fear that fueled his blows. Yes, he was in the wrong by doing so not only because of the dogfight but also because the dogs could have easily turned their anger on him as well. In the end, the blame can be placed fairly on no one. Everyone was the blame.

• I don't think this was really anyone's fault. Legally, you would be responsible because you could be found "negligent". However, it seems like the entire event transpired as a result of accidents. You didn't intend to lose control of your dog. Technically, the guy should have had his dog on a leash but that probably wouldn't have made too much of a difference if your dogs chose to approach it anyway. I wouldn't harbor much blame on either party though.

• Both wrong.1. You should not have had the door opened until you had the leash.2. Your dog should not decide to get out of the car, you decide that and he gets out when told.3. You should have immediatly called your dog back, if he doesnt come he should never be off a leash, EVER.4. You should not have allowed your other dogs to get involved. They should have been recalled so that you could handle the situation.5. Your dogs should look to you to handle it as soon as you make it clear youre going to, not take things into their own hands.6. Your dogs should all know to not approach other dogs or people without your permission.7. Other guy should have had his dog on a leash.8. Other guy's dog should not have attacked-though in its mind it was probably just protecting its owner from a potentially aggressive dog.9. Other guy should not have kicked your dogs (for his safety more than anything).Just so you know, were I the other guy it is likely at least one of your dogs would be shot. They surrounded his dog and were threatening. You failed to recall them and obviously had little or no control over them.___I understand all of this was accidential and I dont think you should be beating yourself up over it. Just please dont let it happen again begin it could have escalated into a person or animal being injured due to a tiny mistake.__Just saw that he is 6 months old-that makes a huge difference. He's still at that age where he gets over excited too easily. That adds weight to the 'he should have been on a leash' thing, but does help with the recall problem. Please just get all three of them trained enough that they will allow you to handle situations like that when put into a stay.

• You were both in the wrong. All of the dogs should have been leashed.The guy panicked. It's pack behavior. It's happened to me when I was walking my 2 dogs on leash.I was only able to control the situation because my dogs were leashed.

• Your dogs were not being aggressive they were just trying to protect you and each other from the other dog, but you may want to consider keeping the car doors shut until you have the leashes on and the dogs ready to go.

• Well, your dogs weren't in the wrong.. You were.. 3rd dog should have been on a leash.. Doesn't matter how, but you are supposed to have your dog's under control.. When your dog ran off, you still didn't have control of the other 2. Yeah his dog was off leash too, but his dog didn't go up to YOUR dogs causing problems.

• You cannot blame the other dog , if you know about dog body language , you would know your dog challenged that dog. . You can not blame him because your dog escaped you and was not under your control "at that moment" .. the dogs did what dogs do, when not under control . and you are "both" at fault. I am glad every one got this situation under control quickly,Nice work, It could have been very bad . P.S. My dogs will not step out of the van even if all doors are open unless I tell them to . You might want to train your dogs to do this because as you said it is hard when you have multiple dog getting out of the car . My fear was one would rush to the road and get hit by a car .

• No dogs were wrong.. they were just being dogs. However, both people were wrong. Each person should have their dog under control and leashed. I agree with the answers about teaching your dogs some commands. Take a portion of the responsibility.. if you can't control 3 dogs, seatbelt them in, don't take them all at once, or get help. There is such a thing as training. I have greyhounds.. large, fast, and strong dogs. I am very petite but I train my dogs and am alway in control for their safety and mine.Take it as a learning experience, prevent it from happening again, and be grateful no one was hurt by carelessness.You seem to be playing victim and want sympathy. But this could have been prevented with proper leashing. Simple.. you were both equally wrong. Why would he be wrong to be unleashed and not you? You may have had good intentions, but the reality is that you could have done more.As for your responses:"I don't have x-ray vision, I can't see through metal and car"Your car doesn't have windows?"when you have 3 dogs, all over 50 lbs pulling with force-- you'd get overwhelmed too"No, not if you have your dogs properly under control. And between the two of you, you still couldn't manage."and I was standing in the way... so it's not like I just ripped the door open to allow the dogs free reign"But they did get loose. Your description does sound a little out of control and chaotic.. teaching your dogs the wait/release command would help.Maybe you need a different collar like a martingale that wont slip off, or a harness for your dog. It is YOUR responsibility to protect your animals. if you have them under control no one can hurt them.