my dog has just killed 1 of my 2 kittens should i get rid of the second kitten?

i have only had the kittens for a week and a half. the dog is a terrier mix. the dog has shown aggression to the kittens from day one and i have kept them separate until one of the kittens got out and the dog killed it. i am not annoyed at my dog as it…

i have only had the kittens for a week and a half. the dog is a terrier mix. the dog has shown aggression to the kittens from day one and i have kept them separate until one of the kittens got out and the dog killed it. i am not annoyed at my dog as it…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : my dog has just killed 1 of my 2 kittens should i get rid of the second kitten?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my dog has just killed 1 of my 2 kittens should i get rid of the second kitten?

my dog has just killed 1 of my 2 kittens should i get rid of the second kitten? Dogs Training Discussions
      i have only had the kittens for a week and a half. the dog is a terrier mix. the dog has shown aggression to the kittens from day one and i have kept them separate until one of the kittens got out and the dog killed it. i am not annoyed at my dog as it is in his nature. is there any way the dog can be alright with the other kitten or will it kill the other one? any suggestions. all suggestions welcomehe has killed wild mice.

my dog has just killed 1 of my 2 kittens should i get rid of the second kitten? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I'd give the kitten away to a better home. You are not a responsible pet owner. It is NOT in a dog's nature to kill if it has been raised properly and kept as an indoor domestic pet. For you to say that you are not annoyed with your dog is absurd. You lack compassion. Give the kitten away ASAP.

• Without some serious training, your dog will most likely kill the other kitten if given the chance. Since you've already been unsuccessful at keeping the dog and kittens separated, you should find the remaining kitten a new home.

• Dogs are very territorial. Sounds to me like your dog is aggressive as well. He needs professional training, or the next living being that he goes after could be you, another family member, maybe even a child. As far as the kitten is concerned. Do him/her a favor. Take him/her to the local ASPCA, or cat rescue.

• You have a terrier who is known to hunt, catch and kill small animals and still decided to bring home 2 small kittens?Give the other kitten away to a good home, maybe it's just the way you've phrased this but your silly attitude to your dog being around small animals that he obviously wants to kill sounds like you actually don't care. You should just take your dog out ratting and give that kitten away to a caring owner. It sounds like a case of 'when' rather than 'if' your dog will kill the other kitten.

• nope. you don't have to get rid of the second kitten. show your dog it is bad to hurt the kitty. I have a jack russell terrier and it is kinda the same way. he has never tried to hurt the cats but be does snarl at them. I will lock him up and tell him "No!" try to get himn to play with the kitten and say "easy!" and if he makes any bad body languge...put him in a separate room.hope it helps(:~Abby