why do dog so called dog behaviour experts give cesar millan such a bad rap?

had probs with dog on dog aggression with my dog phoned so called experts 4 out of 5 wont deal with aggression. done the cesar way and now light at the end of the tunnel alot of hard work does not happen over night but what a dog i have .

had probs with dog on dog aggression with my dog phoned so called experts 4 out of 5 wont deal with aggression. done the cesar way and now light at the end of the tunnel alot of hard work does not happen over night but what a dog i have ....
    Dogs Training Discussions : why do dog so called dog behaviour experts give cesar millan such a bad rap?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• why do dog so called dog behaviour experts give cesar millan such a bad rap?

why do dog so called dog behaviour experts give cesar millan such a bad rap? Dogs Training Discussions
      had probs with dog on dog aggression with my dog phoned so called experts 4 out of 5 wont deal with aggression. done the cesar way and now light at the end of the tunnel alot of hard work does not happen over night but what a dog i have .

why do dog so called dog behaviour experts give cesar millan such a bad rap? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I don't understand why people hate Cesar either. I mean, I understand that for TRAINING a dog (teaching it not to jump up, not to bark, all that kind of stuff) treats are very effective. But for last chance aggressive dogs, Cesar is the only one who tries. Yea, he causes the dog some discomfort. SO WHAT? Isn't it better for the dog to have a few moments of discomfort in its life than be put to death? I think so. He really cares about dogs, unlike many people who seem to think "If you can't fix it with treats, it's not possible." I'm all for positive reinforcement, but for dogs who have one last chance, I'm for Cesar all the way.I think many people just don't like him because he came here illegally and most of the stuff he knows about dogs is instinctual and came from observing dogs all the time while he was growing up. He didn't have to get a degree.

• Here's the problem with Cesar: He makes it look too easy.Dealing with an aggressive dog, if you are a novice, is EXTREMELY dangerous. His show, and his books, make it seem foolproof, which can lead to overconfident owners and people getting hurt.His methods are also extremely outdated. The alpha roll, for example, is really no longer a recommended move when dealing with an unbalanced animal. It puts you in the PERFECT position to be bitten.

• Yes the "so called experts". It is a false method to proclaim yourself better than someone else. You do it by criticism, not by actually being better or doing better. Cesar Milan has a very good understanding of dog behavior and can educate those that do not in a very effective way.

• If a behavoirist wont deal with aggression, then I dont consider them a very good professional. Thats what behavoirists are for.. to deal with dog behavoiral problems that the owner doesnt know how to handle! A person should not try to deal with aggresion on their own.The problem with CM is that people watch the TV show and think he's some kind of miracle worker who can take an unruly dog and have total control within 15 mins. What they dont realize is the TV shows are edited. Training still takes weeks, and even months. When you watch the show, you get highlights of what was videotaped.

• Cesar's methods are outdated, and based on captive wolf studies done several years ago. It is now found that wild wolves don't act the way captive ones do. The 'calm submissive state' he always talks about, is the dog shutting down. A state of learned helplessness. People who know about behavior can see this, while the general public can't. Do his methods get short term results? Maybe, but long term these dogs will often regress, or get even worse. Why does Cesar have to resort to old out dated methods when there are plenty of positive trainers who deal with aggresion, with much better results, and kinder methods. Trainers such as Ian Dunbar, Jead Donaldson and Patricia McConnell.Nevermind the cutting room floor.

• From what I have read in many different blogs isn't so much whathe does on camera, but what he does off camera, and what endsup on the cutting room floor. A few dog owners have law suits againsthim because their dogs died while in his care. One that I read aboutwas teaching a dog to use a treadmill and it strangled itself. They alsosay that his touching the dog to get its attention goes further thanjust touching. Here is one article about it.

• Cesars methods are outdated and are some what not efficient either. Just like Nekkid Dog said, If a behavoirist won't deal with aggression, they aren't a very good behavoirist. I mean that is what they're their for. The problem with Cesar and his TV show is that people think he's some type of savior or miracle worker who can fix dogs within 15 minutes. Everybody knows you cannot cure aggression within 15 minutes.. It takes months to years to control it, but now cure it.