Are certain dog breeds naturally prone to dog aggression?

I am considering a mixed Chesapeake Bay/ Golden Retriever rescue, but I have heard Chesapeake Bays are usually dog aggressive. Does anyone have experience with this breed who could tell me if this is a genetic trait and if so how they deal with it?

I am considering a mixed Chesapeake Bay/ Golden Retriever rescue, but I have heard Chesapeake Bays are usually dog aggressive. Does anyone have experience with this breed who could tell me if this is a genetic trait and if so how they deal with it?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Are certain dog breeds naturally prone to dog aggression?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are certain dog breeds naturally prone to dog aggression?

Are certain dog breeds naturally prone to dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am considering a mixed Chesapeake Bay/ Golden Retriever rescue, but I have heard Chesapeake Bays are usually dog aggressive. Does anyone have experience with this breed who could tell me if this is a genetic trait and if so how they deal with it?

Are certain dog breeds naturally prone to dog aggression? Dogs Training Discussions
    • You know I'm not 100% sure but I have noticed that most smaller dog breeds tend to be ALOT meaner than bigger dogs and that's not because I don't like small dogs... I have a chihuahua and she is my world but she is much more prone to bite people even family, rather then our bigger dog Molly.

• This produced a dog who has an incredibly water resistant coat with a passion for water, and he became the dog of choice for wildfowlers. the Chesapeake Bay Retriever coat is unique and his distinguishing characteristic; it is thick, reasonably short - not longer than 3.8cm, the outer coat being harsh, oily and dense and the undercoat fine and woolly. Moderate feathering on the tail is acceptable, and the legs and face should be covered with short and straight hair. Any sign of curl is not permitted. Because of his primary use as a water-based retriever the quality of the coat is extremely important. The colour should be in any shade of dead grass, from straw to bracken. A slicker brush will keep him groomed and tidy and on no account should he be shampooed as this would remove his waterproofing and spoil the coat texture. If he is in desperate need of cleaning then a wash in plain water with a zoom groom should do the trick; if essential, there are a range of dog deodorisers available.Dogs measure up to 66cm and weigh about 75lbs; he is an energetic dog requiring plenty of exercise, not one simply for the fireside. Whilst he has an independent attitude, he is affectionate and is a good companion with useful guarding instincts. And the bit at the end is guarding instincts which means that it does have a tendency to guard things and to protect but have everything its own way and you cant have something it has got but most dogs can be grown out of this by the simple method of the thing i have is more important which is where whatever you have the dog wants.

• If you think about it, ALL dogs are naturally aggressive, they all descend from wolves.It is the way they are brought up that determines if they show that aggression or think it is okay to show it or not. Small dogs tend to be aggressive because people do not teach them manners, thinking that it doesnt matter seeing as they are so small. Larger dogs come across as aggressive because either people want them to 'protect' or use them to fight. Or sometimes people just cant be bothered to teach them mannersSo really it all comes down to how it has been trained, or not trained.Hope I helped :D

• It helps to look at the history of the breed.For example, a lot of bully breeds were historically bred to be fighting dogs, so obviously now there is a much higher chance of dog-dog aggression in them (though not always). Jack Russells were - I think - first bred to hunt small animals so it's never a good idea to have small animals in your home if you have a JR. The trait is inbred. A lot of it comes down to socialization. If you bring a bully breed into your home as a puppy and socialize it with other dogs for a young age, it should grow up to at least tolerating other dogs, if not exactly being friendly (though friendliness is heard of). If you're thinking of adopting - and good for you if you are! - just ask the shelter what the particular dog is like aggression-wise. Shelters are none-profit organizations that exist solely for animal welfare and educating people about animal welfare, so they should always tell the truth about a dog, even if that truth is not desirable. If the dog is aggressive, that is up to you think about - can you cope with it? If it's not, it's up to you to carry on the socialization process to ensure such problems do not arise in the future.Good luck!

• Some breeds do have aggressive TENDANCIES - but this does not apply to every dog.Everything I have heard about the chesapeake bay says they are friendly though - and the ones I have met have been lovely dogs.

• Some breeds might be a little more prone to aggression, but the way your raise it and train it matters a lot more. Make sure it is socialized around other dogs and people. Also, if the breed is high in energy make sure it gets enough exercise or it could get frustrated. We (my family) had a Blue Heeler and that's exactly what happened to it, we didn't give it the exercise it needed and it started getting too aggressive.

• Dogs of all sizes and breeds can be aggressive. They can be taught aggression and they can have insecurity that brings out aggression by instinct OR learned behavior.Most smaller dogs tend to be aggressive in surprise situations where they feel their life is in danger. Small dogs over-react because instinct tells them they are out-matched in most situations and they use the aggression to trick a possible attacker into retreat. In the canine world, size really doesnt matter as much as attitude. A Chihauaha can back down a dog twice its size at the food bowl with the proper aggressive behavior. Ive seen it many times and its quite funny to watch.The larger dog could easily out-match the smaller one but the bluff of the vertically challenged dog usually works.Larger breeds that are aggressive usually do for the same reason, INSECURITY. This can be for a variety of reasons but the biggest culprit is physical abuse at a young age.

• Chessies are not that numerous, but I know maybe a dozen fairly well and knew the one my parents owned very well. I don't know that they specifically have dog aggression issues, but they are very tough, dominant dogs. I have heard them described as "not for sissies." Temperamentally, they remind me more of Rottweilers than retrievers.

• Yes, But after 50years raising dogs, it tells me also about how the pet was raised. They have to learn as the grow, but some aggressive dog have help. I have had many people have the Cheseapeake Retriever and some with the Golden Retriever and none of them have ever complained about them being aggressive, infact just the opposite. Never...

• First, I will tell you that I'm a breeder, rescuer and fancier of the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I currently own three of my own and have rescued many others over the years. I've brought in well over 20 Chessies from a variety of backgrounds into my house to live with mine. From that number I've only had a true aggression issue with TWO (2) dogs from unknown background/breeding.With that said, are Chesapeakes in general 'dog aggressive.' I don't think so. I think every dog is different - much depends on the background of the dog. Although, Chesapeakes are considered dominant dogs that can have naturally guarding instincts, they do require lots of socialization, and training, as puppies and young dogs to make them well-rounded companions. Goldens are 'typically' (there's always an exception in every breed) happy-go-lucky dogs that are not overly dominant. A mix, will have some traits of both parents. I'm not sure where you're considering getting the dog but if it's from a rescue organization, they should have temperament tested the dog. I'd try to get as much information on the dog as I could, meet the dog, find out if it's been around other dogs etc.... and base my opinion/adoption accordingly. I would not base my decision off a blanket statement that all dogs in one breed are 'mean' or 'aggressive' as this is simply not true. For what it's worth, my dogs (ages 7, 3 1/2 and 5 mos) all go to the local dog park, play with other dogs, attend obedience trials, hunt tests, dog shows and other activities -- and all do so with great success and no issue.

• NO but yes!dogs reflect on the way they're raised!So...not all dogs of a breed are "bad" !Yes.....b/c some dogs are poorly bred as in much of the breed!So...liek pitbulls....are sometimes very aggressive b/c of how they;'re bred and raised!A mix of the one you are considering is fine!The dog will not nessesarily aggressive.Depends how it was raised and treated and how you'll raise it!Good luck