Can a dog that has shown aggession still be trained not too?

He is a four year old American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=11157389b8e0f35a2ecf0766d510f6f1ca37876c">Bulldog</a>. Never trained. Outside dog. Never shown aggression till he got attacked by a boxer. My question is, is it possible to have him behavioral trained and taught who is dominant? Is it too late?

He is a four year old American <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=11157389b8e0f35a2ecf0766d510f6f1ca37876c">Bulldog</a>. Never trained. Outside dog. Never shown aggression till he got attacked by a boxer. My question is, is it possible to have him behavioral trained and taught who is dominant? Is it too late?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Can a dog that has shown aggession still be trained not too?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can a dog that has shown aggession still be trained not too?

Can a dog that has shown aggession still be trained not too? Dogs Training Discussions
      He is a four year old American Bulldog. Never trained. Outside dog. Never shown aggression till he got attacked by a boxer. My question is, is it possible to have him behavioral trained and taught who is dominant? Is it too late?

Can a dog that has shown aggession still be trained not too? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Its definately worth talking to a dog trainer and finding out!The sooner you do this the better.Because your dog was older when he was attacked this has not been a lifelong problem for him, so the issue will be much easier to treat. Had he had issues since puppyhood, eg, this would be a different story.A dog behaviuorist will be able to assess your dog to find out why he is acting aggressively, (I would not be surprised if it was due to fear) and work with your dog, and give you the advice you need to work with your dog, to help him overcome this problem.Definately not too late- and better off to do it asap. Good luck with him!

• You cannot train out aggression as it is largely determined by genes but training the dog can allow you to manage it so nobody gets hurt. It will still be there and the dog can still revert in extremely stressful situations. The method already mentioned usually works well but it does take a long time and you have to work in baby steps so be patient. Standard obedience training, especially in a class setting is also useful.

• I think that dogs like you are describing are probably more dangerous to other animals than persons.He might need to have protected pets around him to let it be known that they are harmless and will not harm him.He is probably reacting out of fear.

• It's never too late. Dogs 'live in the moment'. I know it's hard to believe but my Lab was very aggressive at one time, toward people, and we almost got rid of him after he bit somebody. We didn't have the money for a trainer so I had to learn myself.I watched The Dog Whisperer religiously and learned alot from him. He is now a great guard dog. When people come over he goes crazy until I walk outside and he immediately calms down and can be pet by the 'strangers'.

• I think the key is to use positive reinforcement. That is when you reward good behavior instead of punishing bad behavior. So whenever your dog does something good you reward them. If they're doing something bad you distract them into doing something good.There are some really useful dog training tips here...http://www.training-dogs.bizA lot of people will get mad at their dogs and yell. This is a really bad thing to do. Remember that your dog although intelligent doesn't really understand a lot of things that you do. When you yell at them they don't know why you are yelling despite the fact that it may seem obvious to you!