How do you stop a dog’s aggression at everyone who is not family? I have a boxer.?

He is two years old. Very loyal to family and protective. But I have taken him out little by little to dog beaches and park, but I have to keep a mussel on him. He is aggressive to everyone. How do I stop it? And NO! I will not Euthanize him

How do you stop a dog’s aggression at everyone who is not family? I have a boxer.?

He is two years old. Very loyal to family and protective. But I have taken him out little by little to dog beaches and park, but I have to keep a mussel on him. He is aggressive to everyone. How do I stop it? And NO! I will not Euthanize him...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you stop a dog’s aggression at everyone who is not family? I have a boxer.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you stop a dog’s aggression at everyone who is not family? I have a boxer.?

How do you stop a dog’s aggression at everyone who is not family? I have a boxer.? Dogs Training Discussions
      He is two years old. Very loyal to family and protective. But I have taken him out little by little to dog beaches and park, but I have to keep a mussel on him. He is aggressive to everyone. How do I stop it? And NO! I will not Euthanize him

How do you stop a dog’s aggression at everyone who is not family? I have a boxer.? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Socialize, socialize, socialize...which is easiest done as a puppy. Since your dog is two years old, I'd seek the help of a trainer or dog behaviorist. GLADD:Trainer..on an individual consult/handling basis. Not classes

• Honestly, if you really want to keep this dog, you need to take him to obedience training. Unfortuantly, the average person is not going to have the knowledge or time to correct this aggressive behavior. I know training isn't cheap, but if you love your dog and care about your friends and others who come around, you'll do it... it's better than having your dog bite someone and having to put him down over it.... I'm sure you've heard some of these horror stories? I personally don't think a dog should be put down over ONE bite, but then again - ONE bite on a tiny child could mean an eye or something vital like that, and if it was my daughter who got bit, I think I'd be so angry I would demand the dog be put down - just take every precaution and think about what could happen if you don't. The money is worth the risk.

• You can't stop a dog from being aggressive. Just as humans have different personalities, dogs do as well and you can't make a drastic change to the way they behave. I was attacked by a pitbull who was very loyal/ protective to his family and I sued, as the owner shouldn't have kept such a vicious animal. I compare owning an aggressive dog to holding a ticking bomb. Be careful.

• well while the muzzle may stop him from biting anyone, it takes away his ability to defend himself and that would make him feel vulnerable. so if you can't make him less aggressive then don't take him to the park at all. boxers can really sense people's personalities, and there is a chemical in a lot of people that for whatever reason boxers dont like. me and my mom both have that and boxers always either run away from us or bark at us. sorry, but it might be too late to fix it.

• He's gonna need some serious training, not the kind you get at petsmart either. We had our dog trained by a cop that trains police dogs. It is expensive but if you love your dog that much it will be worth it. Be prepared to work very hard training him for at least six weeks.

• Usually neutering is very effective. You should ask your local vet his opinion. They can advise you on things such as diet (high protein can make dogs very aggressive), etc.You could also try training at a local center even though he isn't a pup anymore it could help.

• He just needs to be socialized more. Try taking him to doggy day care first. Once he gets used to other dogs and the strangers running the show, he will probably have an easier time adjusting to new people wherever you are in public.

• Aggression behavior is a very serious problem. You may need to get a professional Trainer/Behaviorist to help you out. With luck they can help you. In the meantime it's good that you are walking him with a mussel on for now. Hope it all works out for the best;~}

• Guess what? go ahead and start hating me now. the only way to stop that aggression is to put him down.If he is not neutered, do it now, that is your last ditch chance to help him. When he does bite/maim someone, you will have to put him down, plus pay a ton of legal and medical bills.

• You want to talk to a professional animal behaviorist, not just an obedience trainer. An obedience trainer can teach your dog to obey commands, but they do not specialize in aggressive behavior. You can ask your veterinarian, or local obedience trainer if they know of any dog behaviorists you can talk to. Good Luck!!

• I've taught obedience for 30+ years. I have rehabilitated aggressive dogs. Having an 80 lb. dog come at you with the intention of causing you harm is dangerous for everyone involved. You don't put yourself in that situation unless you KNOW what you are doing.From what you've described this is probably a socialization issue. At the same time it has progressed to the point of being a behavioral issue NOT a training issue. These are TWO distinctly different situations.Petsmart - Definitely NOT the solution. For teaching very basic obedience to people and their dogs, this might work. For this type of situation, the trainers at Petsmart, Petco, etc. are not trained to handle these types of problems.Obedience Clubs - Although you typically get a much higher level of knowledge here, again it usually is NOT a place to go for the resolution of this issue. Classes here, and at Petsmart, are 10-20 people in a class. What you need to resolve this is INDIVIDUALIZED attention. A class would be an issue for you and for all of the other students in the class.Obedience Clubs (part 2) - source of information of where to go. Excellent choice. They might be able to help you.Vet - Ditto as a source of information.Again, you need this solved on an individual basis by someone who knows what they are doing. In other words a PROFESSIONAL. They need to SEE the dog and how it reacts to solve the problem.Until then.You can do what you want. Until then. This dog see NO ONE outside of your family. This dog is ALWAYS on leash whenever he is outside. NO dog parks, no doggy daycare, etc.I couldn't be more strenuous in this. If this dog bites ANYONE it is YOUR responsibility. The dog has warned you already.Good luck. It can be worked out, but it's going to take some time.

• It is best to start socializing dogs when they are itt-bitty babies, but since we are past that point you have two options.One is to take him to a trainer. Costly, yes, but probably your best bet.The second is to, well, learn to deal. If he isn't neutered, that's certainly a good try, but I've found that the aggression in dogs stems from the hormones released when they hit doggie puberty, so it's a good possibility he may not change his agressiveness. (my 12 yo lab didn't).You have a protective dog. If these don't work, just be smart about it and put him in another room when company comes over, or fence your yard so he can run without meeting new people. I agree you shouldn't put him down, but if he doesn't get better around people, you gotta play it safe and protect everyone! (including the dog!) Good luck!

• Just commenting to say Dogjudge is right. Desiree, you're retarded. I raised my bulldog at college where people were around, and trust me, none of my friends took crap from people that were mean to it. No one has ever smacked any of my dogs, and neither have bitten anyone. Big time social issue, and I would definately take him to obedience training. No dog likes to have a muzzle on, and he'll be alot happier if he gets loses his aggressiveness. He'll get way more attention. Good luck man