Why is my Pack of Afghans not having puppies?

I have 4 firtile Afghan hounds two males and two females. One is 8 years old he is the father of one female of 4 years and one male of 11/2 years and I have one import female of 4 years. I have bred the girls twice now and no puppies. The import female…

I have 4 firtile Afghan hounds two males and two females. One is 8 years old he is the father of one female of 4 years and one male of 11/2 years and I have one import female of 4 years. I have bred the girls twice now and no puppies. The import female…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why is my Pack of Afghans not having puppies?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is my Pack of Afghans not having puppies?

Why is my Pack of Afghans not having puppies? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have 4 firtile Afghan hounds two males and two females. One is 8 years old he is the father of one female of 4 years and one male of 11/2 years and I have one import female of 4 years. I have bred the girls twice now and no puppies. The import female comes into season once every 13 months the other use to come into season ever 8 months and use to cry the blues for not having any puppies now she follows along with the other one. These girls are not related. Should I be getting another girl? My sire is getting old and I bought the Import girl for him and I can only get puppies out of local females. That is why I have a son and daughter they will not prodouce any either. They all live together inharmony except when there is food around. I seperate them when they eat and go to bed. I know my old male is the alfa because he controls the games in the house and he dose not alow any one to play with is import girl especailly his Daughter (weird?) so I seperate him from the games.I am a second generation Afghan breeder my parents have been dong this since 1969. I do not inbreed my dogs they are all out crossed and they are gentically certified clear and have Papers. I'm looking for more behavoral answers in having a pack of breeding dogs. My family raised thir dogs in a kennel situation were know one lived in the house together. if you need mor information on my dogs go to www.generation-afghan- hound .com

Why is my Pack of Afghans not having puppies? Dog Breed Discussions
    • For one, neither female seems to have a normal heat cycle. You do not seem like you are very intelligent about breeding, or you would not have to be on yahoo answers trying to find the answer to this. With that said, you need to take them to your vet and have fertility testing done. Your males may be shooting blanks, or your females may be infertile. I would say there is something wrong with your females if they are only coming into heat every 13 and 8 months. That is too long in between cycles. Your vet will be able to find out what is causing these cycle issues, and work with you to either fix them, or advise you to find another female. My best advice to you though, would be to have them all spayed/neutered. Educate yourself on breeding, and then try again. Talk to local breeders of afghans and see if they will help you learn what you need to know.

• Do these dogs just all have pedigrees just crammed full of champions? Must be or you would not be breeding them right? Otherwise you would just be contributing to all those who are euthanized every day. It sounds to me like you should not be breeding. You mention local females having pups and keeping son and daughter together and things that say you are not responsible about this at all. Just stop now before you do more damage Please!

• I'm a little confused. You aren't trying to breed the one male with his daughter are you?? That will just make some mentally challenged dogs...It's not good. I dunno why you are having this problem. Try breeding them more than once while the female is in season...

• sounds like you really need to do some more research about breeding and being a responsible breeder.... that is if this is even a real question.....inbreeding your other dogs is a bad idea!!Is your bitch:1. show quality 2. a champion 3. have both parents and grand parents that are champions 4. free from hereditary disease 5. parents and grand parents tested and free from hip dysplasia 6. mature enough to breed 7. tested today as free from brucellosis Is your dog:1. show quality 2. a champion 3. have both parents and grand parents that are champions 4. free from hereditary disease 5. parents and grand parents tested and free from hip dysplasia 6. mature enough to breed 7. tested today as free from brucellosis And you need to meet ALL of the following criteria: 1. you are have homes already for all pups - before the mating 2. you have found a dog that meets all the points in the section above relating to the requirements of the bitch 3. you are prepared to offer a lifetime guarantee (or at least two years) for the health of the pups 4. if, during the lifetime of the pups, any need to be returned for whatever reason, you take that pup (now adult dog) back and find a home for him/her. 5. all non-show quality pups are sold with a spay/neuter agreement 6. all prospective buyers have been fully screened by you 7. you are going to offer support and advice to your puppy buyers for the life of the pup 8. you have the money to cover a stud fee, possible c-section and complications, vaccinations, and still get no income from the sale of any pups. 9. have you consented with the breeder of your bitch/dog and sought their advice? Now that's just a starting point. If you can't or won't meet these criteria, perhaps breeding at this time is not the best thing for you or your dog.http://www.k9magazinefree.com/k9_perspective/iss1p22.shtmlhttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/inbreeding.htmhttp://www.family-pets.com/genetics.htmlhttp://www.jimanie.com/lists/archive15.html

• I have two comments:Maybe they don't realize they live in KY and don't understand incest? AndYeah there is a doggie god. I knew it. This is great I am so happy for your situation. Maybe I won't have to house another homeless dog this week.

• You might try going outside of your breeding program and find a suitable male to use as a sire. Have your female examined by a vet as to why her heat cycles seem a little irregular. Then do your research and find a good stud. Sometimes kennel-mates will not breed kennel-mates. I have the same problem. I bought a $1,900.00 male to show and breed. He breeds every female contracted, but will not even sniff my champion female that he lives with. Go figure. Oh.... and pay no attention to those instant know-it-all's who think there is a overpopulation of pets. They jumped onto a band wagon they know nothing about. Good luck and have a big batch of healthy puppies!

• Another liberal , its quite common and normal for a sighthound to have a long heat cycle and 8 months is common and 13 months not unknown. However there is clearly is NOT 4 fertile dogs and the only answer I know is a work-up with a fertility specilist vet. If the older male is the only one allowed near female in heat I would suspect hes lost his fertility. I hope its not a brucellosis problem.

• It's appalling to me that someone this ignorant has afghan hounds. These beautiful dogs had serious problems, a lot of them temperament, back about 25 years ago and the reason was all the back yard breeders jumping on their popularity and breeding their pet quality crap.Now that the breed is coming back, thanks to reputable and dedicated breeders, there's still people with no knowledge about breeding out there trying to do it.I for one am very grateful that these poor dogs aren't reproducing!