My dog sometimes sleeps on her pee pad instead of her blanky?

I have an Afghan Hound and she's only 3 months old. she DOES sleep on her blanket (It's her bed) but sometimes she sleeps on her pee pee pad. It's sorta disgusting, is it ok that she is doing this?but my dog is only 3 months and she cant go outside…

I have an Afghan Hound and she's only 3 months old. she DOES sleep on her blanket (It's her bed) but sometimes she sleeps on her pee pee pad. It's sorta disgusting, is it ok that she is doing this?but my dog is only 3 months and she cant go outside…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My dog sometimes sleeps on her pee pad instead of her blanky?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog sometimes sleeps on her pee pad instead of her blanky?

My dog sometimes sleeps on her pee pad instead of her blanky? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an Afghan Hound and she's only 3 months old. she DOES sleep on her blanket (It's her bed) but sometimes she sleeps on her pee pee pad. It's sorta disgusting, is it ok that she is doing this?but my dog is only 3 months and she cant go outside yet. its too cold. so she has to stay in the house until spring. what should i do then?

My dog sometimes sleeps on her pee pad instead of her blanky? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes it is disgusting. Get rid of the pee pads and teach her to potty outside where dogs are suppose to potty. Don't teach her that it's ok to go to the bathroom in your home unless you plan on her doing this forever. Pee pads are not housebreaking the dog.

• Walk her on a regular basis and for a long time (Its a Hound not a stuffed toy) and buy her a crate. I have never seen a dog piss in its crate if it was given a chance to relieve itself out side.

• Of all the breeds we were showing with, the Afghans were quite the messiest!! For some reason. However, if you are using pee pads - DON'T!!! Throw them out and start as you should have right from day one. Get her OUTSIDE. If you teach a puppy to use these pads, you are telling them it's fine to empty indoors, which for any number of reasons, it's not. And eventually your puppy will move on to emptying anywhere indoors. So get her outside, every hour, after every sleep (immediately), feed and short periods of play. And during the night, you'll need to get her out once, say around 3 am, and try to get to her before she shouts so she doesn't learn that she shouts, and you come.Using pee pads is basically unhygienic.ps If she's 3 months, going outside to empty should be well within her capabilities. She has a nature-given coat, and if you time her needing to go out, she should only be out there to empty, and back in again. Have a coat for you next to the door, so you can just slip it on - me thinks 'it's too cold' is more about you, than your puppy!! lol Clear the snow to make a nice level place for her to go, preferably in a more sheltered spot and get her out there. She's not going to freeze to death - and I've had puppies out in Canada, all who have survived being housetrained outside through a Canadian winter ....... you are showing as UK, and it's hardly 'cold' outside right now.

• It is disgusting that you are training an Afghan to use pads. Imagine how big her pees and poos will be when she matures, your house will stink.When the vet says that your dog cannot be taken out until after its injections/shots, this does not mean that it cannot be taken into your own fenced garden/yard. It simply means that your puppy must be keep away from anywhere that could have been contaminated by other dogs. If you train her to pee in the house, she will pee in the house forever.A puppy must be taken into your garden/yard every hour, after it eats or drinks and when it wakes up after a nap. You should also take it out just before you go to bed, every time you see it eliminate you must praise your puppy. I use a catch phrase when my puppy has a pee, I say “get one” while it is urinating and “big job” when it passes faeces. If you do this your dog will pee on command when it is older. (Unless it’s bladder is empty)You should set your alarm and try to take your puppy out about twice during the night. If like me you are a heavy sleeper and you don’t trust yourself to wake up, take the lazy way out. My puppy’s sleep in the laundry room until they are toilet trained, during the day I dip newspapers into the urine which it has passed in the garden and put these on top of a thick pad of newspaper at night, they are drawn to this because of the smell and they will pee on this during the night. Nevertheless I go to bed very late and get up very early when I have a puppy. Eventually your puppy will go to the door when it knows that it wants to eliminate. In spite of the fact that I leave newspapers down at night my puppy’s are clean from an early age. However they are like babies, they have no control until they are older. Regardless of how diligent you are, your puppy could still have an accident in the house during the day, it you see it stooping or peeing, pick it up and let it finish in the garden/yard.

• sounds like a habit. Need to break it now. Peepads are not good 4 pups, they can tear them up and eat the inside. Horrible vet bills. If u must use something inside use newpaper, your pup mite not be attracted to sleep on paper than he will go to his blanket.

• Yes she CAN go outside on YOUR property until all of her puppy vaccinations are completed. I live in Michigan and have cold winters. That has never stopped me from training a dog properly. Just take the puppy outside. You will be very sorry when this dog keeps crapping in your home for months. Don't let her use your home as a giant toilet. Throw out the pads and stop being lazy!

• Get rid of the training pads. It is not too cold for your dog to go outside long enough to pee. She'll be fine, don't worry.Your dog is not a naked human infant, she's a dog. She has a higher pain and cold tolerance than we do and can handle the cold long enough to relieve herself. If you're worried you can make or buy a jacket to keep her warm, but she really will be fine. People can housebreak chihuahua puppies in cold weather, your pup should be fine.Training pads usually create complications. Some dogs get the idea and are fully housebroken by the time the pads are gone. Many dogs are called "housebroken" but really aren't due to frequent "accidents". Most dogs have a hard time understanding the difference between training pads and your carpet. See what I mean? Training pads teach a dog it's okay to go inside. By the time you take all the time to teach your dog that training pads are okay, carpet not so much, you'll have wasted time and your pup could have been housebroken by now.Training pads delay the training process, they make it unnecessarily slow and tedious. Take your pup out every hour or so, more frequently if necessary. A 12 week old pup should be almost fully housebroken.You're teaching your dog to eliminate inside. You'll have a very hard time breaking this habit you've encouraged come spring. Nip it in the bud now.