Afghan Hound......perfect dog and then started going to bathroom in the house?

I have a 5 year old Afghan Hound who has always been an excellent dog in every way. About a month ago, she started having accidents in the house. She always went to the door and barked to go outside and now when I try to get her outside she runs and…

I have a 5 year old Afghan Hound who has always been an excellent dog in every way. About a month ago, she started having accidents in the house. She always went to the door and barked to go outside and now when I try to get her outside she runs and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Afghan Hound......perfect dog and then started going to bathroom in the house?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Afghan Hound......perfect dog and then started going to bathroom in the house?

Afghan Hound......perfect dog and then started going to bathroom in the house? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 5 year old Afghan Hound who has always been an excellent dog in every way. About a month ago, she started having accidents in the house. She always went to the door and barked to go outside and now when I try to get her outside she runs and hides. She is doing #1 and #2 so I don't think she has some sort of sickness....I think it's purely behavioral but I don't know what prompted this behavior? Any suggestions/thoughts would be great!!

Afghan Hound......perfect dog and then started going to bathroom in the house? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Has something out there frightened or upset her so she doesn't like going out there? In case this is so, I suggest you put her on a lead and go out there with her. And for now, don't wait for her to ask - make a note of when she last emptied, so you know when she must need to go again.I guess it wouldn't hurt to have her urine tested, much as she's also doing poohs indoors at the moment too - could still be after she's felt the need to urinate, it develops into needing to have a BM too.

• Something changed, or she perceived that something changed. It sounds like she is suddenly afraid to go out. It could be such as a new dog in the neighborhood, or construction going on nearby. Have you sprayed the lawn with fertilizer or weed killer?To help her overcome her fear, take her for walks in the neighborhood, so that she begins to pee-poop outside again.In this case..Scolding is the LAST thing to do, and will only make the problem worse.