Has anybody ever had any experience with the Saluki or Borzoi? What is your favorite breed of dog?

I'm getting an Afghan Hound puppy in 10 weeks and I'm already getting ready to look into getting another rare breed puppy to show. I am thinking about getting a Borzoi or Saluki and as different as they are, really like the Dalmatian, Clumber Spaniel and…

Has anybody ever had any experience with the Saluki or Borzoi? What is your favorite breed of dog?

I'm getting an Afghan Hound puppy in 10 weeks and I'm already getting ready to look into getting another rare breed puppy to show. I am thinking about getting a Borzoi or Saluki and as different as they are, really like the Dalmatian, Clumber Spaniel and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Has anybody ever had any experience with the Saluki or Borzoi? What is your favorite breed of dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anybody ever had any experience with the Saluki or Borzoi? What is your favorite breed of dog?

Has anybody ever had any experience with the Saluki or Borzoi? What is your favorite breed of dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm getting an Afghan Hound puppy in 10 weeks and I'm already getting ready to look into getting another rare breed puppy to show. I am thinking about getting a Borzoi or Saluki and as different as they are, really like the Dalmatian, Clumber Spaniel and the Old English Sheepdog. Has anybody got any experience with those breeds? If not/if so, what is your personal favorite breed of dog? I would like a slightly rare and exotic breed but nothing that's going to take me more than 5 years to find a show quality pup. I don't want anything popular like a Labrador or German Shepherd and I want a large dog, not a small dog. I might look into medium sized dogs, if I like them.I am up for any challenge that owning this new dog will throw at me - I mean, I'm getting an Afghan!Cost, exercise, grooming, training, size does not worry me at all.And I would prefer a dog that isn't temperamental or naturally aggressive. I don't mind reserved dogs (eg. AFGHAN) but no naturally aggressive dogs. I don't have children of my own but my family is huge and we have many kids in the family. Yes, I've got the big home, tall, securely fenced yard, funds to raise large dogs etc.. Only thing I don't have is much first hand experience with dogs. I've only been around a female Labrador who was an outside dog when I was 10-12.

Has anybody ever had any experience with the Saluki or Borzoi? What is your favorite breed of dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Old English Sheepdogs are amazing dogs, I don't have any experience with the sight hounds, dalmations are also wonderful dogs as long as they are from a good breeder, though they can be prone to skin conditions.What about setters? English, Irish, Gordon, they are majestic dogs, and not as common as say a lab or a golden retriever. Whatever you decide, good luck with your pup(s) :)

• My best friend has two Salukis and hers make me think about getting one...they are GREAT dogs. It sounds like you know a little already about the special needs of a sight hound, and salukis are no exception to those rules. They are very smart and can be really affectionate...but only when they want to be...they can be almost cat-like in their independance when they feel like it too! Neither of hers are intact as they are rescue dogs (yeah...Salukis have a rescue...you wouldn't think there was enough of them...but sadly...there are. She got her's from S.T.O.L.A. I think they have a web-site still) Her male is a great dog but has some inter-dog aggression issues on leash walks around "the hood." Her female is just moody sometimes and has some alpha-dog issues when it comes to sharing toys with her "brother." My friend is a decent trainer though, so she keeps them in check and doesn't seem to have many issues. They are both pretty picky eaters...but they manage to eat when they want to...she just leaves them free-choice food most of the day. She has to have friends take care of them often as she travels a lot and neither of them have ever had any people aggression problems, even with semi-strangers coming into her home when she is gone. They are so beautiful, they are like living sculptures...I'm thinking about adopting one if I ever live in a place I can have a sight-hound/big dog! I'm in the military, and I don't think they would travel well to some of the places I might get sent! I don't know anyone else that has Salukis...very unique, great dogs! The only thing I've ever heard about borzois is that they sometimes have house-training issues...but not from a very reliable source. I don't know anyone personally that has any of them.If you want a living piece of art in your home to love and are up for the challenge of a sight-hound...I'd go for the Saluki...AWESOME dogs! Just be ready for all the nut-so people accusing you have having a mal-nurished greyhound!

• Salukis are great dogs. They do well with older children, but apparently they are skittish and are better off with another saluki. Don't rule them out though, here is the site I got the info from:http://dogbreedinfo.com/saluki.htmAlso I would have to suggest a leonberger. You may not have heard of them but they are beautiful, and quite rare dogs. They do quite well in the show ring. Their intelligence is extrordinary, and they are loyal to their families. Most are considered highly trustworthy and have incredible patience, even with the most obnoxious children, but there are some that are not as patient. With most of these dogs, if the situation becomes too intense, instead of showing aggression, the Leonberger just walks away.Pretty cool, huh?here are some pics:http://www.leokings.com/dogs/tullock.jpghttp://www.leokings.com/images/issa.h2.jpghere is the site i got them from: http://www.leokings.comthey breed leonbergers but are situated in ireland.shar peis are cute too!(we might be getting 1)

• Your willingness is to be commended, but how do you know you're up for it all (& for the long haul)...if you have no experience with sighthounds or dogs in general? An outdoor dog as a child isn't the same as an indoor dog on your own. I know you don't want to hear this, but it's important. One: Please take your time getting any puppies. Use the time to research breeds (make sure you like the traits and it's a good match, not just the looks and rarity...the breeds you mentioned aren't rare, they're just not popular), meet several in person and learn about dogs in general (housebreaking, socializing, training, etc.) Two: If you're not going to adopt from a rescue or shelter, please go through a reputable breeder. It's important no matter what, but more so when you plan on showing. Do you know what to look for...need any tips? Taking your time only increases the chance of you and the puppies getting off on the right foot...nothing wrong with that. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement, but learning *everything* as you go can make for a bumpy ride. Have you joined any clubs yet...or need help finding one?ETA: The way you ignore (& thumbs down) valid questions and concerns speaks volumes. You first, dog last...if at all. Good luck finding a reputable breeder who won't wonder and ask the same things and more. You'll be able to find byb or miller who won't question anything...but that will bring showing to a complete stand still, among other things. I've even offered help, but you apparently have to learn the hard way. ;)

• Mine is the Dalmatian, I have 2 dogs, male and female. The male is much higher than me if he is standing on his back legs, he has big feet. Very sweet smile, I love Brakkejan (male) smile. He had bladder stones - removed it - then he got kidney failure. He is on medication for the rest of his life he is about 5 ½ years now. The female Lucky, she has blue eyes. The both listens very good, very love able dogs, active dogs.

• www.asfa.org -- this is a site to a sighthound field orginization. check the trials & club list. Most clubs have puppy practice after trials (contact trial sec if you want to be sure). Take the afghan pup to practice - he'll love it and while you are there you can see the Saluki's & Borzoi present and speak to their owners & breeders and get a very acurate idea as to the temperment of both breeds also can serve as the first contact toward a pup...