afghan hounds in hot weather?

I've been doing research on dogs and i really like the afghan hound. i live in texas so it can be pretty hot, my question is at first glance you would think the afghan hound should not be placed in a hot environment due to its long hair. however, if…

I've been doing research on dogs and i really like the afghan hound. i live in texas so it can be pretty hot, my question is at first glance you would think the afghan hound should not be placed in a hot environment due to its long hair. however, if…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : afghan hounds in hot weather?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• afghan hounds in hot weather?

afghan hounds in hot weather? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've been doing research on dogs and i really like the afghan hound. i live in texas so it can be pretty hot, my question is at first glance you would think the afghan hound should not be placed in a hot environment due to its long hair. however, if they're from Afghanistan, wouldn't that mean that they're used to the heat? I'm not planning on getting one or anything it was just a question that arose in my head as i was reading about them. thanks!

afghan hounds in hot weather? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You're right, the Afghan Hound did originate in Afghanistan and they are known to do fine in hotter climates. That being said, in my opinion they should still be kept as indoor dogs. Just because they can handle hotter climates doesn't mean they cant get heat stroke

• Think about dog fur in terms of regular, household insulation. You want a house to be well-insulated in the winter to keep hot air in, and cold hair out. In the summer, it's the opposite--the insulation acts to keep the heat out, and cool air in. Many dogs have fur that works the same way, including Afghan hounds.ETA: What the poster before me said is absolutely right-- if you were to get a dog in the future, it should only be kept as an indoor pet and then only outside for supervised playtime/ exercise.

• it dosent matter if the dog has long or short hair they should not be kept outside for a very long time. if you do keep a dog outside make sure that they have shade and lots of water. because it can get really hot outside.

• Since I owned Afghans for over 15 years - they are fine in normal heat situations. Their hair insulates them from the heat as well as cold.That said - these dogs must live indoors. Their hair coats are like velcro, every leaf, twig, burr, and flying insect will get caught in their hair. If you were to try to keep an Afghan outdoors you would have one matted and filthy mess of a dog.They need brushed out several times a week. They are wonderful dogs, high upkeep in grooming, and most are one-owner type of dogs. They can be very territorial.I now have Greyhounds - they are much easier to care for - wash and wear easy sight-hounds that love everyone!