At what age will my Afghan Hound's coat become longer and full?

My Afghan Hound is very beautiful and has a beautiful coat, but it does not look like the coats of other Afghan Hounds that I have seen before. Her coat is much shorter and does not seem to be growing longer anytime soon. She is only 10 months of age…

My Afghan Hound is very beautiful and has a beautiful coat, but it does not look like the coats of other Afghan Hounds that I have seen before. Her coat is much shorter and does not seem to be growing longer anytime soon. She is only 10 months of age…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : At what age will my Afghan Hound's coat become longer and full?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• At what age will my Afghan Hound's coat become longer and full?

At what age will my Afghan Hound's coat become longer and full? Dog Breed Discussions
      My Afghan Hound is very beautiful and has a beautiful coat, but it does not look like the coats of other Afghan Hounds that I have seen before. Her coat is much shorter and does not seem to be growing longer anytime soon. She is only 10 months of age so I can understand that she may not be old enough to have the long coat yet. I was just wondering when she wil be growing into it. Also, I did get her spayed so that may be something to take into mind. Thanks

At what age will my Afghan Hound's coat become longer and full? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Coated breeds like that usually are at their best at 3yrs old. By the time she is about 18 months to 2 yrs she will probably have a pretty decent coat. However coat factor is also a genetic issue. What are the parents and grandparents like. That will give you a better idea of what to expect.30 yrs grooming

• I would ask your breeder this question. It might be different for each dog, and since the breeder owns the female, they will be able to give you some good advice on when the average time for a full coat to come in would be. If the dam of your dog did not start growing coat until later, maybe your dog is a "late bloomer" too. I don't know anything about Afghan coats, but many things are genetic, so I would imagine that coat fullness would be as well.

• it can take up to 2 years to achieve a full adult coat- with proper care of course.Some dogs are pet-quality and just will NEVER have the full coat you see on a show dog. Genetics do have some play in the length of coat.Chetco has Afghans, he/she can give you more information on proper coat care for the breed so that you can get the best coat possible.

• No matter how nice her coat gets now, it is still her puppy coat.At about 18 months, all of her current coat will drop, and the adult coat will begin growing.As she is spayed, she won't have the slick-haired face and unique saddle pattern of the Afghans that you have seen. That distinctive pattern is hormone generated, and she is no longer producing estrogen, so she will be long-coated all over. If you want her to look like an Afghan hound as an adult, you will need to clip her saddle and face every few weeks.By 2~1/2 to 3 years old, her coat will be long and flowing, if kept mat free..Meanwhile, just enjoy the adorable puppy fluff..You'll miss it when it is gone..

• In addition to what Chetco said, you have to properly maintain the coat if you want it to grow and remain long. Your breeder should be able to show you how to properly groom your girl. The most important rule for grooming an Afghan is to NEVER groom a dry or dirty dog. Brushing a dry or dirty coat damages the hair and causes it to break. My girl only gets a bath once a week with NO brushing in between, regardless of how many tangles she may get. You should always brush from the ends to the roots and brush small sections at a time making sure you get through the entire coat. If you run into a mat then gently pull it apart and separate it into smaller parts to brush. Your environment will also affect how long the coat will get. Dry air and Synthetic fabrics(like carpet) tend to cause static which breaks the coat. If you have the proper tools and know the correct techniques then it's not that hard to maintain an Afghans coat.