Does anyone out there have an Afghan hound?

Can you tell me what kind of pets they make-I'm thinking of getting one for my granddaughter.

Can you tell me what kind of pets they make-I'm thinking of getting one for my granddaughter....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Does anyone out there have an Afghan hound?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does anyone out there have an Afghan hound?

Does anyone out there have an Afghan hound? Dog Breed Discussions
      Can you tell me what kind of pets they make-I'm thinking of getting one for my granddaughter.

Does anyone out there have an Afghan hound? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Ugh, no. They look weird to me, but you can check akc.com (i think it's .com) and it gives a personality description. It's best to rescue an animal from a shelter or rescue shelter though. The dogs that are being bred will always find a some and the dogs w/out home may face death time in the incinerator.

• i know alittle about them, they are beautiful dogs but rare especially in the U.S. They are not the easiest dogs to train though( cos of their intelligence level) they are fun to be around though, and clown alot, sometimes they might act snobby, i'll give you a site where you can learn more. Good luck

• They require alot of time. as in blow drying their coat brushing it daily , it takes 4 yrs for it to grow out completely. They are very nice dogs, quick learners But can easily clear a 6ft fence , run faster than a cheetah. their skin is very temperamental and very sensitive to many things. Certain flea sprays or applications can kill them. Great breed of dog but more so for an adult.

• That is alot of dog for a kid. IMO alot of dog for many adults. There is nothing more beautiful than an Afghan Hound in full coat. The are generally pretty good tempered as well.They are also not highly trainable, as they are VERY smart and were not bred to please us but to hunt independantly. Their intelligence can make them extremely naughty. They are independent and should not be expected to lavish their owner with affection. Sighthounds can never, ever be allowed off lead. I have had them for many years, and am an obedience instructor, but still would never trust mine offlead.That gorgeous coat is very high maintenance. An Afghan in full coat will need a bath/blowdry/comb out once a week or so to keep it from matting. They will also bring in piles of leaves, sticks, and pebbles in their coat. You can clip the dog down, but that will require some maintenance as well.They will happily 'remove' any critters from your yard and you may have to cleanup 'leftovers'.But they are very beautiful, gentle dogs. But more dog than many people can handle.

• You don't say how old the child is, but Afghans are not a great dog for kids. They require an enormous amount of grooming to keep that beautiful coat from becoming a tangled ball of mats. They are independent and very difficult to obedience train. They can clear a six foot fence with one leap and once they do, they won't come back.I'd recommend one of the Sporting breeds for a child. My all-time favorite mid-sized dog for kids is the English (or Welsh) Springer Spaniel. They require some grooming, but don't shed too much, are generally great with kids and easy to train. Females are a little bit easier than males, but either should make a terrific pet. They will need a good thirty minute walk every day.Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Pekingese are great too and need less exercise. They are small, sweet and quiet. Setters, Labs and Goldens are usually great with kids but they're bigger and shed quite a bit and are very boisterous until they are about two. And Labs shed a LOT.I'd also suggest reading some really good books on training for whoever is going to raise the pup. (Try not to do it randomly - there are a lot of bad books out there also!) These are some of my favorites and you can get them on Amazon.comWhat All Good Dogs Should Know - VolhardGood Owners, Great Dogs - Brian KilcomminsDog Tricks : Eighty-Eight Challenging Activities for Your Dog from World-Class Trainers by Haggerty and BenjaminDon't Shoot the Dog - PryorTraining Your Dog: The Step by Step Method - VolhardDog Problems - BenjaminCesar's Way - Cesar MillanAlso, watch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel. Cesar Millan is the best trainer I've ever seen on TV.