Is it wise to run a sight hound off leash?

I heard it's not a good idea, greyhound, pharaoh, or basenji...or whippet...so A) are basenjis true sight hounds, would you run any sight hound off leash?

I heard it's not a good idea, greyhound, pharaoh, or basenji...or whippet...so A) are basenjis true sight hounds, would you run any sight hound off leash?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it wise to run a sight hound off leash?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it wise to run a sight hound off leash?

Is it wise to run a sight hound off leash? Dog Breed Discussions
      I heard it's not a good idea, greyhound, pharaoh, or basenji...or whippet...so A) are basenjis true sight hounds, would you run any sight hound off leash?

Is it wise to run a sight hound off leash? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes, basenjis are sighthounds. And its not a good idea for any breed of sighthound to be allowed off leash. However, like with anything else, there are exceptions. I've had 2 afghans, 1 Irish wolfhound and 1 greyhound that I was able to let off leash - NEVER near a road and these dogs were the exception to the rule.

• Sight hounds are no less reliable than scent hounds or terriers. They do have a disadvantage compared to retrievers, in that the retriever's job requires him to return to you.It's my belief that you can train a sight hound to a reliable recall. I also believe that you shouldn't run any dog without a reliable recall off leash. At least you ought to be aware of the environment and the associated risks.If they never run off leash, how can they hunt? If a hound can't hunt, what good are they?btw, thank you for not listing rhodesian ridgebacks as sight hounds -- those dogs got nose!!

• I`m not a sight hound owner but do have a couple of friends that own them One has lurcher and one has an Afghan. The lurcher is ok off lead until it sees a rabbit or cat or other prey animal and then nothing can stop it from hurtling off after the prey. It `s sole existence is to chase prey. The Afghan is not let off the lead at all as its "off" at the first opportunity.Sight hounds are notoriously difficult to train in obedience and just go completely "deaf" to any commands when in prey drive.I`m sure there are some exceptions to the rule but I personally would not be happy to trust one off the lead, especially where there are likely to be cats or rabbits in the vicinity. Jmo.Add: I also agree with jtexas. Why own a sight hound if its not going to be used for what it is bred to do.They not meant to be just mere pets!