What's the basic difference between a hound and a dog?

For example, the American Kennel Club lists "hounds" in a separate category. I know that before the English language developed in England, all canines were called "hounds" and then "dog" was used later.

For example, the American Kennel Club lists "hounds" in a separate category. I know that before the English language developed in England, all canines were called "hounds" and then "dog" was used later....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's the basic difference between a hound and a dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's the basic difference between a hound and a dog?

What's the basic difference between a hound and a dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      For example, the American Kennel Club lists "hounds" in a separate category. I know that before the English language developed in England, all canines were called "hounds" and then "dog" was used later.

What's the basic difference between a hound and a dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It's like saying what is the difference between a mail carrier and a postal employee? Or what is the difference bewteen a stool sample and a medical specimin?

• Hounds are dogs...Hounds were bred specifically for hunting - they have honed skills and abilities that regular dog breeds lack. Another example of dogs are terriers - these were bred as hunters too. They are all dogs - just sub-categorized by ability and type of breeding.i.e. we are all humans, from there we can say some are african, asian, etc.

• i can't help it i feel the thumbs down coming but i gotta say it here goessssssssssssssssELVIS sings about hound dogs not dogssorry but i feel better sometimes i can't help but being a obnoxious maybe that will get it out of my system for the day

• different breeds of dogs for different functions. hounds are hunters and trackers of game. they use sight and smell for these functions. as far as im concerned, all canines that are tame, are dogs. just different uses for their talents.seven catagories for the akc if this helps.

• All of the breeds of dogs are divided up into 7 groups. The Hound Group is just one of the seven groups of dogs. Hounds are then sub categorized into 2 sub groups, sight hounds, and scent hounds.In reality tho', the word "dog" refers to the male of the species, and the word "b*tch" refers to the female of the species.